Mice clones created from freeze dried skin cells

Originally published at: Mice clones created from freeze dried skin cells | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Just saying as long as they’re at it…

4 Likes

Texas legislature contemplates making exfoliates illegal as every skin cell is a potential viable human!

(Here’s a far more immediate non-flippant issue: Infertility Patients and Doctors Fear Abortion Bans Could Restrict I.V.F.)

4 Likes

So life begins at the moment of cloning?? It’s obviously not conception in this case…

1 Like

If life began at the moment of fertilization then what the heck are we supposed to make of identical twins? Do evangelicals think I am half of a human being?

4 Likes

Exfoliates? Try defecation.

1 Like

If you can split a soul can you you steal a soul? It would explain abunch of people…

2 Likes

Human chimeras get bonus souls.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1769721220302895

2 Likes

Silly rabbit, clones don’t have souls!

PROOF: not mentioned in 14th amendment

1 Like

Am I missing a trick here? If the technique involves transferring the freeze dried material into fresh eggs won’t that be a bit hard to pull off for a species with no female survivors?

Is the transfer thorough enough that they are just borrowing a cell membrane(and so one could presumably get away with using a not too distantly related egg instead); or are they proposing complete loss of the species’ mitochondrial DNA as good enough to count as revival so long as the nuclear DNA is retained?

1 Like

Identical twins seem like perfect candidates for the theological equivalent of a shady corporate divestiture:

Just as you can carefully shunt the assets to the spin-off that is intended to survive, and the pension obligations to the one engineered to die, for massive shareholder value; you should be able to ensure that all the original sin is allocated to the half of the zygotic split that doesn’t get the soul, so nobody actually gets damned in the resulting moral bankruptcy, while the ensouled half gets a clean balance sheet without needing to resort to grace.

(And, even if it doesn’t work, surely the comedy of being responsible for getting McKinsey slapped onto the Index Librorum Prohibitorum for heretical consulting is worth something?)

I’d be happier if they could create freeze dried skin cells out of mice.

While I’m always for a critique of the absurdities of modern capitalism, putting it into a metaphor where either brainspore or otherbrother are “engineered to die” seems a bit callous

Yeah, he’d better not die. I haven’t even harvested my backup (and 100% compatible) organs from him yet.

1 Like

I apologize; looking at it in retrospect I think I was pushing an analogy that seemed funnier in my head too far.

In terms of intention; the desired construction had both twins living normally; but with the non-souled one being at no risk of damnation, for want of a soul to damn, to being sacrificial for afterlife purposes just as the deliberately-weak spinoff is sacrificial for bankruptcy purposes because it has no real assets to be imperiled.

Given that you mentioned it I suspect that my intentions fall flat; so I can only apologize and note that I bear Brainspore no ill-will and did not intend the joke to involve anyone being sacrificial except in a theological sense in the afterlife; not in actual human lifetimes.

Sorry about this; and I appreciate you calling me on it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.