Mice given an experimental gene therapy don't get fat, regardless of caloric intake

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/06/brown-fat-ftw.html

3 Likes

As if I’m not already sweaty enough

15 Likes

I really hate these kinds of pieces, as my fat hiney bird waddles over to the stationary bike…

9 Likes

So this over-clocks your body?

19 Likes

22 Likes

The downside is that you spend 3 hours a day shitting.

15 Likes

So this would make global warming worse, because the billion or more ex-fat people would dump tons of waste heat into the atmosphere. Great.

7 Likes

aka, “quality me time”.

12 Likes

on the other hand there will be less medical waste when we don’t have so much obesity related complications.

2 Likes

So we’re gaining some time back too - sweet!

3 Likes

“expends calories as heat rather than storing them as fat”

Great. So constant hot flashes. And the guys get to have them too. Yippee!

5 Likes

I’ll have what he’s having

5 Likes

Of course if you do this, and then society collapses and calories aren’t so prevalent…

sadtrombone.com

7 Likes

I don’t know. I like a little “meat” on my mice’s bones.

5 Likes

I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen the success of Lane Bryant linked to the Apocalypse.

5 Likes

Me, too. They always make me wonder about the age of the mice, whether or not they experimented on males and females, etc.

2 Likes

Me at a buffet:

7 Likes

The problem with this is that you can’t knock out a gene in an adult animal. It involves manipulating egg nuclei, and usually takes a couple of generations for the process the finish. So it’s not really a treatment as such. Also won’t these mice get really hot?

4 Likes

This is definitely a step on the way to destroy the Earth. Agriculture is already a major environmental problem, and having people able to eat even more will just make it worse.

If scientists wanted to be useful, they could research ways to make us not want to eat more than we actually need.

4 Likes

that’s not how global warming works

5 Likes