Turd transplant leads to rapid weight-gain and obesity

[Permalink]

2 Likes

This is interesting, because her daughterā€™s flora should be descended from her flora. I wonder if thereā€™s a ghrelin / leptin change thatā€™s mediated by gut flora.

This is an interesting case, but letā€™s not jump directly onto the STOOL TRANSPLANTS KILL bandwagon. This is one case out of thousands, it did cure the womanā€™s life-threatening infection, and they havenā€™t even proved causation yet.

3 Likes
The daughter was overweight at the time and was in the process of becoming obese.

Sounds to me like any number of things may have tipped the scales.

6 Likes

Oh I get it.

3 Likes

But but, I heard the driver of that wagon is RAND PAUL!!

3 Likes

Considering fecal transplants are hard to promote to the public because of the ick factor, I donā€™t think calling it a ā€œturd transplantā€ helps anything.

7 Likes

In fact that phrase should be added to the book of back handed compliments. You Turd transplant.

1 Like

Itā€™s not jumping to ā€œZOMGSTOOLTRANSPLANTSKILL!!!11!!!one!!1ā€ to say, ā€œThatā€™s curious. It may point to interactions between gut flora and body conditions such as insulin resistance, ghrelin/leptin balances, and obesity that bear exploring.ā€

12 Likes

I think weā€™d be hard-pressed to come up one that doesnā€™t have the ick factor.

But letā€™s try.

Sharing a loaf?
Dropping the kidā€™s off at a neighbor with his own pool?
Donating brownies to the sick?

3 Likes

Letting the neighbor drop your kids off at the pool?

Sample size of one?

Not enough to count as a full-blown statistical study.
Just enough to raise an eyebrow and go ā€œthis is interesting, letā€™s do more researchā€.

9 Likes

Eat shit and diet?

10 Likes

bung shit and diet.

Despite the fact that there is only one example to draw conclusions from, if it does happen to be true, the question no one is asking is this :

ā€œIf the intestinal flora of a fat person can make you fat, can the flora of a thin person make you thin?ā€

14 Likes

Given the amount of money in weight loss industry, I bet this question is asked.

And, once this gets researched more and the results will be at least half-encouraging, there will be people DIYing this. The yuck factor will repel most but not all.

Edit: Already there, though not for weight loss per se.

http://thepowerofpoop.com/epatients/fecal-transplant-instructions/
ā€¦and WAY more for ā€œdiy fecal transplantā€ query.

2 Likes

Iā€™d still rather wait for a thin pill :smile:

Throwing a hot dog up the hallway?

6 Likes

Its just a branding and delivery issueā€¦ pro-biotic yogurts are essentially the same thing.

The science seems sound, we need a better nameā€¦

Tummy transfer?
Colonic tonic?
Flora elixir?

Anything but ā€˜turd transplantā€™ Cory!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes