Turd transplant leads to rapid weight-gain and obesity

True. It could me misunderstood, too, as it evokes a reality-detached top manager/CEO switching a company.

11 Likes

A lot of people use ā€œfecal microbiota transplant.ā€ ā€œMicrobiota transplantā€ sounds good on its own.

4 Likes

Since poo is rather lucrative, do skinny folks need to on high alert for turd burglars?

15 Likes

Obviously Iā€™m only going to get my fecal transplants from organically raised free-range body builders. Now if yā€™all excuse me, Iā€™ve work to do. [Dons biohazard gear, grabs a chamber pot, and troops into the locker room]

10 Likes

the former comment there, it was not a response to the latter. Youā€™re imagining that it is.

I recall seeing some studies that hinted that consumption of large quantities of nonnutritive sweeteners can lead to a significant change in gut biota ā€“ some of which are actually able to digest the sugars and thus break them down into something that the body can use.

1 Like

Cory asked that question after the jump:

ā€œWhat would be very interesting would be the reverse: overweight people who lost weight dramatically after getting fecal transplants from skinny people (there has been some success with this in animal models).ā€

And on a sidenote, who knew the British variant to fecal is faecal?

Also, awesome thumbnailā€¦

1 Like

This seems completely unsurprising. For years Iā€™ve been reading about studies that indicated that gut flora had a big impact on calories we extract from food. There are so many known (albeit not necessarily completely understood) mechanisms that cause weight gain that have nothing to do with caloric intake that anyone whose response to obesity is, ā€œPut down the cheeseburgerā€ shows themselves to be completely ignorant (and an ass).

6 Likes

So he didā€¦ I just jumped right to the article :slight_smile:

Well, when maybe not when itā€™s the second or third cheeseburger. Nor when itā€™s a fabricated cheeseburger whose name should have quotation marks around it because it has so much other than wheat, meat, and vegetable in it.

Perhaps call it an anti-diarrhœal fƦcal manœuvre?

5 Likes

If someone who doubts Pres. Obamaā€™s place of birth is called a ā€œbirtherā€ does my skepticism about this procedure make me a ā€œpooperā€?

2 Likes

" I make $1,500. a week at homeā€¦"

7 Likes

What, are you scared of words ?
Itā€™s still a pill of shit to be eaten by sick people !
(a pill full of good shit, that isā€¦)

Yeah, thereā€™s evidence of a leptin change caused by gut flora, but thereā€™s also substantial evidence that oneā€™s gut flora determines how well certain types of foods can be digested and the calories that are obtained by the body as a result.
Even related people in the same environment tend to have different gut flora to some degree, and they can change a good deal due to diet, antibiotics taken, etc., so they diverge over time as well, especially for family no longer living together.

5 Likes

I really expected to read something about sugar alcohols (xylitol, mannitol, etc) in your link and I was surprised that the USDA didnā€™t mention them.

1 Like

Oh yes, that reminds me of the Wired article about Hazda gut biomes.

3 Likes

Well, when thatā€™s based purely on an assumption of what the obese personā€™s diet consists of, itā€™s ignorant. Many people, when talking about obesity fall back on the ā€œwell, they should eat better and/or exercise.ā€ Thatā€™s pretty much true for everyone - it doesnā€™t necessarily have anything to do with the cause of an individual personā€™s obesity, as they might have a better diet and exercise more than most thin people.

3 Likes

Well, except for the fact that none of the pro-biotic supplements/food have a lasting impact. You have to keep consuming them on a regular basis, as the strains of bacteria they use donā€™t last more than a few days after ingestion. Also, none of the ones Iā€™ve seen have a significant impact on body composition.

1 Like

If we should DIY fecal ecological systems transplants, we could call them Fecology: The Good Shit!

2 Likes