Michael Jackson's drummer performing Smooth Criminal

ok Slant. Have it your way. All I can say is I hear the late base drum hit just after the cymbal during the stick spin. He’s back on beat immediately after.

I’m clearly not a drummer, because when I see this, and see all the cymbals around him, and see him hitting two cymbals at a time, all I can think is “Does it really matter which cymbals he hits? He could probably just hit any cymbal and it would be the same, right?”

Kinda yes and kinda no. For most listeners (say 90% of people) it won’t make a difference to their listening enjoyment. For others, the harmonics of the cymbal creates complementary tones to different chords and notes and they enjoy that. Some drummers even setup their kit in arpegios so that the toms are tuned to say C, E, G, C and the cymbals E, G, C. You can especially hear this in a lot of jazz and prog-rock.

Not my way in any way. It’s how the recording is, plain as day. Yes, it’s true that the bass drum hit during cymbal spin is not on the down beat, but, again, that’s intentional on his part, since it’s clearly exactly on the off beat, and makes the next snare strike really pop. Oh, and also it’s badass.

1 Like

Yeah, I know it’s supposed to be on the off beat. It’s that it ever so slightly isn’t to my ear. And hey, maybe you are right and he isn’t at all late on it. I heard a late hit and now I can’t unhear it. So, since I’ve only been playing for 33 years, I sent the link to a friend who’s been playing for over 40 and asked if he heard it. He said he thought he did but who knows. Power of suggestion maybe. Or maybe he’s a tiny bit late with his foot while he does his stick spin.
Look, the guy is a great drummer but let’s be real. Even the best aren’t machines and when you strip the band away, our imperfections seem obvious and exaggerated even when they are tiny and hearing them in the middle of what sounds like perfection drives me batty. It’s the same when I think I’ve nailed a track and go back to listen to it. I hear everything I did wrong. So, I like to let someone else deal with mixing so I don’t go down the rabbit hole of chasing what can’t be had.

I’m not feeling any kind of flaw where you said there was one but thank you bc I enjoy having a reason to listen with zoomed-in focus. I would happily listen to this drummer all day.

2 Likes

I was noticing that too. I’m not a drummer (outside of Rock Band 3, at least), but it almost seems like that twirl he does is a timing thing, like he knows precisely how much time it takes to do that, and he knows it fits exactly at certain points in the song. I’m probably over-thinking it and it’s just a bit of reflexive flair, though.

Totally badass.

1 Like

10000% one of the best bands of all time.

3 Likes

Yeah definitely a feature, being ever so slightly off consistently takes practice and adds that little bit of extra nasty, skanky funk I love.
But I get it if it’s not your thing, to each their own.

See above :smiley:

1 Like

People, Ppl, Listen and Stand in Awe of Alien Ant Farm’s Version of this Song!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.