Michelangelo's fingerprints discovered on the butt of a wax sculpture

Originally published at: Michelangelo's fingerprints discovered on the butt of a wax sculpture | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Whoa! This means we can clone him, right?

12 Likes

They should run it through AFIS. You never know what he might have been guilty of.

11 Likes

Better never dust my hiney for prints, the guilty party is sitting next to me drinking coffee.

11 Likes

Or at least put him on that Florida “enhanced scrutiny” list - after all he was squeezing butts.

4 Likes

Now the government can unlock his iphone.

12 Likes

We tried to convict him but we found out that the statue of limitations had expired…

12 Likes

Has anyone checked David’s junk?

6 Likes

Approve South Park GIF

2 Likes

5 Likes

Another Michelangelo, Caravaggio, had quite a rap sheet.

What I want to know is how can they be certain that this is Michelangelo’s thumbprint; rather than someone else’s?

5 Likes

i was wondering the same thing. are there some verified Michaelangelo prints to compare this one to? i mean, anyone can leave a stray print…

5 Likes

Reminds me of Charlton Heston’s first scene in the film adaptation of The Agony and the Ecstasy:

Bramante: How many sculptures do you plan for this tomb?
Michelangelo: Forty. You know that.
Bramante: And it took you how long to carve the David in Florence?
Michelangelo: Four years.
Bramante: Four times forty is…?
Michelangelo: I know, Bramante, I know, a hundred and sixty. That’s why I can’t afford holidays.

2 Likes

I always thought those sculptures were from the Buontalenti Grotto. I didn’t realize they were originally intended for the pope’s tomb (though not surprised). They look better in the cave.

Honest question: AFAIR, Michelangelo Buonarotti had a workshop, and didn’t do everything himself.

Could it be someone else’s fingerprints on those buttocks?

Maybe even someone else’s who just handled the thing… Last year? Yesterday?

1 Like

Absolutely. I think all they have is circumstantial evidence. They’re probably assuming he made the wax model himself, even if his workshop helped with other sculpting.

I don’t think so. It is usually possible to see whether a fingerprint was left as part of the sculpturing process or as part of handling. At least based on my limited experience with fingerprints on ancient ceramics.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.