Dubai hides Michelangelo's penis

Originally published at: Dubai hides Michelangelo's penis | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Dick move.

36 Likes

Who’d they hide it in?

I’ll show myself out…

26 Likes

Yet another depressingly accurate prediction by the writers of The Simpsons from over 30 years ago.

25 Likes

Hiding it just makes it sexier.

15 Likes

At least a passing mention of the status of a statue of David (eventual King of Israel (and Judah!))'s circumcision! (“Well, all of Michelangelo’s models were Italian Catholics y’see and there’s some ‘Greek’ tradition involved y’see…” “Antonio! Stop looking at that unfinished fresco of the nymphs bathing! You’re spoiling my lines there”)

3 Likes

Given that Michaelangelo (the sculptor, not the ninja turtle) died over 450 years ago, in 1564, I would assume the soft tissue in his penis has long since turned to dust.

But I would imagine the penis of the reproduction of Michaelangelo’s David only caused “enormous embarrassment” because they scaled the reproduction up to 17 feet tall.

14 Likes

Who controls the IP on David? Could you make hundreds of copies and have then all over the world?

Like this guy - I would be really impressed to see the creator’s original masterpiece, but a copy? Meh.

5 Likes

This does seem like a Borat sequel setup (a naked Cohen breaks free from the statue during the opening reception).

On that note, why hide the peen behind a column or whatever when a classy marble-print mankini would have done the deed.

7 Likes

Hardly the first time.

6 Likes

tumblr_mmw1r2KD091sqw0fjo1_400

32 Likes

I wish my country was able to handle nudity better too.

8 Likes

I’m left wondering if the implication is that Michaelangelo sculpted a facsimile of his own penis into his likeness of David.

5 Likes

Done more in the style of classic greek and roman statues

12 Likes

These philistines have no balls.

7 Likes
5 Likes

And: image

10 Likes

Yes, there are already many copies around the world including full-scale copies carved from marble taken from the same quarry Michelangelo used. In fact there’s a near-perfect marble replica of the original statue in Piazza Della Signoria in the same place where the original once stood before it was moved indoors to the Accademia Gallery.

I heard somewhere that the copy at Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas was commissioned with a slightly scaled-up ding dong compared to the original (because of course they would) but haven’t found confirmation.

7 Likes

16 Likes

Poverini, stravolti da un affarino tanto piccolino.
Well, if that ol’ dong upsets them so, just wait 'til they get to learn how babies are actually made. I foresee seizures.

(gratuitous anime ref, just because)

4 Likes