Why old statues have tiny penises

[Read the post]

3 Likes

I thought it was because most statues were originally designed to be in fountains, where they would be exposed to a constant flow of cold water, and, well, you know, the old masters were sticklers for realism…

28 Likes
9 Likes

Wait, what do you mean “tiny”? Looks normal to me. Aren’t most men growers, not showers?

30 Likes

Rodin’s statue of Balzac has a fitting tribute to him. That’s not a banana in his pocket.

2 Likes

foolishness, lust and ugliness

Don’t I recall somebody in the news recently bragging about his junk?

20 Likes

I bet his Balzac is pretty large, too.

25 Likes

I thought it was at least in part because kids found it funny to take hammers and knock the one-eyed wonders off herma. Making them smaller would make it harder (pun not intended but still funny) to desecrate the statues, although what I recall about the trial of Alcibiades was that a lot of people didn’t find it so funny.

Of course it’s been a long time since I studied all that and I only barely passed Latin.

6 Likes

I fully expect the “irellevant police” will be all over this.

4 Likes

12 Likes

Being real for a moment, comparing penis size is like comparing breast size. Perhaps these types of comparisons are shallow.

5 Likes

I’ve got this photo of a lamp that was allegedly recovered from a Pompeiian brothel.

The bell is kind of in the way, but this guy’s got a giant penis … with another penis on the tip.

6 Likes

So, all those times my reasoning and logical skills have been praised…?

11 Likes

Originally I was going to guess “erosion and weathering”.

2 Likes

European statue penis:

African statue penis:

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s the excuse I always give…

17 Likes

I say, does this not call for a NSFW tag?

Isn’t the word “penises” in the headline warning enough?

17 Likes

I visited Greece a couple of years back, and saw a bunch of statues without any penis at all - seems like they’d all fallen off or been removed. All I could think to myself was “I guess somewhere there’s a big box of penises waiting to be reunited with their owners…”

6 Likes

Sad, lonely penises.

1 Like