Michigan Democrats win full control, first time in 40 years

I bet.
I read a tweet (that was not satire) which said that implementing permanent mail in ballots was “authoritarianism”. That’s an odd word to apply to increasing access to voting, but… Nothing surprises me much anymore.

13 Likes

The Associated Press had not confirmed the results of each race, but current Republican leaders in both the House and Senate acknowledged they lost power and their Democratic counterparts have claimed victory.

Republicans acting like adults? That nice to see.

23 Likes

Let’s not spread Fox News lies here, please.

GDP growth was 2.6% In Q3 2022.

14 Likes

11 Likes

Snoopy dance bunnies

13 Likes

I’m excited for the people of Michigan! I hope all the rest of us purple states follow in their footsteps soon!

This is so critical. It is really what is keeping so many state legislatures and house seats Red. There is certainly gerrymanding on the side of the Democrats, of course, but it’s often not aimed at race…

But of course, Marge is an idiot so…

13 Likes

A big portion of our state came through but other places can go to hell.

12 Likes

55c16fedc8bf0

20 Likes

The good thing is that without gerrymandering it is less likely that the GQP can retake the legislature, so there is that

7 Likes

Hey, did any of my Michigan friends see John James finally won something after years of losing.

Last election he ran in my county and refused to concede after losing by a significant amount. This year his opponent, Carl Marlinga, conceded like a gentleman while the news agencies were saying too close to call.

He finally got a job after losing several elections. Couldn’t take a hint.

4 Likes

7 Likes

I do hope we can one day manage the same here across the lake in WI.

One quibble with the OP, this construct doesn’t work:
“Both the overturning of Roe v. Wade and recent redistricting have been credited, in part, to the Democratic victory.”

Should be they are credited FOR the victory, not to. Or just swap ends:
The Dem victory has been credited, in part, to recent redistricting and the overturning of Roe v. Wade.

2 Likes

James has no qualifications for any political office. I hope he fails hard.

@lyd: My family is from Wisconsin, I spent a ton of time there growing up, it’s a beautiful state that has become politically ugly in the last couple decades. If you have a ballot initiative process, use it. I think our next targets of opportunity are adding LGBTQ+ rights and removing the flat income tax.

8 Likes
13 Likes

Look at us go! Maybe now we can “fix the damned roads”. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

8 Likes

Oh my gosh, a couple days ago someone started a post on Nextdoor about a fake construction project that they believed was started by the governor just to get votes.

It was near me, they actually rebuilt a bridge but fake and there was no shortage of people agreeing with them.

I really have no idea how these people function.

6 Likes

WTAF? Did they “fake” drive over it? Maybe it’s not well known among the average yokel, but MDOT projects mostly get bid out in March and April, thus all the orange crap everywhere all summer long (just like every other northern state).

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.