Michigan Democrats win full control, first time in 40 years

Originally published at: Michigan Democrats win full control, first time in 40 years | Boing Boing

21 Likes

Worth noting that Michigan voters also enshrined reproductive rights in the state constitution last night. The cynical claim from right-wingers and defeatists that the overturning of Roe v Wade would not have any significant effect on the election is belied by that.

49 Likes

None of this happened in a vacuum, it took a ballot initiative to take the redistricting maps out of the hands of Republicans, a ballot initiative to give us no-reason absentee ballots and same day registration (something else Republicans were against). All these initiatives require hard work, on the ground, by a small army of volunteers.

All that said, I feel as if we have finally been freed from the tyranny of the minority here in Michigan, a day many believed could never come. And it feels good.

56 Likes

I am very glad for MI, and all the hard work y’all did there; and I am equally embarrassed by my home state, Ohio.

43 Likes

Happy Bear GIF

22 Likes

The House, Senate, Governor, AG, SoS, and Supreme Court. AND voter protections and reproductive rights. I just
Happy Webby GIF

36 Likes

If they didn’t hate U of M so darn much, they might listen to us once in a while when we hand them a proven roadmap, but NO, Ohio’s gotta Ohio. :cry:

29 Likes

All too often, I’m ashamed of my state… but not this time.

It feels good to be from Michigan today.

36 Likes

Hell yes.

19 Likes

Don’t even get me started on that O-State foolishness.

Moving OUT of OH to CA was one of the smartest things I ever did, clearly…

23 Likes

And the Lions beat the Packers. Good week for Michigan. It was only an OK night here in Wisconsin. We kept the Governor bet fell just short on the Senate, which is unfortunate. Our country could get fixed with a more-D senate.

18 Likes

Oh look, when you hold free and fair elections in competitive districts that aren’t gerrymandered all to hell and back, look what the people want.

26 Likes

monty python and there was much rejoicing GIF

23 Likes

Marge says the reason conservatives couldn’t hold on to Michigan is because they all fled the state to FL and GA.

I wish they all fled my state and county.

13 Likes

The GOP has become so toxic that it couldn’t even take advantage of a flagging economy and unpopular president. Most of their wins were in states where they were already entrenched and voter suppression efforts were in full swing.

19 Likes

Couldn’t have anything to do with the 45th president of the United States condoning an attempted murder of the governor could it?

15 Likes

So – what are the chances of taking control of districting from the next Republican legislature?

6 Likes

It’s in the hands of a non-partisan committee, as required by the Constitutional Amendment we added in 2018. So no chance at all.

22 Likes

I said here that I hoped to be repeating posting this a few more times very soon…

Again: All cued up and ready to go at the point where you can all sing along…

7 Likes

Yeah, mixed results. I’m glad we still have Governor Evers, but we’ve still got a Russian asset for a senator. Maybe he’ll get called back to Moscow and stay there this time?

18 Likes