Michigan man offers "Amish Uber" rides in his horse & buggy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/08/michigan-man-offers-amish-ub.html

7 Likes

Um…

4 Likes

A ride in the “Amish Uber” costs just five bucks. But, you’ll have to flag Hochstedler down to get one because he doesn’t actually work for Uber.

Missed opportunity to use messenger pigeons to tweet for a pick-up.

11 Likes

"Amish Uber"

Buggy Whippings extra!

1 Like

I was thinking folks could use their thumbs.

4 Likes

My old home town, and also the Magic Capital of the World!

1 Like

I’ll wait for the Amish Lyft.

8 Likes

Well neither do uber drivers for that matter

8 Likes

I don’t know if perhaps you are all so young that
Uber is your only frame of reference but this is an Amish Gypsy Cab. What defines Uber is the app with is completely absent from this cab program. It even specifies you have to “flag it down”. That’s called hailing a cab.

6 Likes

Hold on …

I’m calculating your tip.

article-2584437-1C6B671A00000578-745_634x352

7 Likes

Horse with a pink mustache.

5 Likes

It beats walking!

Wait with the haywagon down at the local bar on Friday nights take drunks home or let them sleep it off in your barn.

No, the age ranges tend to vary on this site; it’s just that most of us live in the tech-dominated present.

Gypsy-cabs are not, as you note, a “new” concept; but for many of us, this particular service simply would not be very useful.

2 Likes

And a background check.

2 Likes

Or actually nonexistent.

In 1932, my grandfather made a water taxi out of an old touring car and some barrels for pontoons. He then offered rides (on the Charles river in Boston) for a nickel, until the cops shot his pontoons and sank the car. It was unlicensed, of course.

Hold up. Where, Michigan??

Say it the way you say “cologne” and you’ll be fine.

2 Likes

1 Like

If Amish, how is it that he can be on camera? Has his soul been stolen?

Don’t be silly. A rejection of technology for spiritual reasons doesn’t indicate ignorance of what technology is or how it works. In fact, Amish actually spend time in the non-Amish world before they decide to commit to baptism in the community (as they don’t believe that one can be part of their faith unless they make that choice as an adult). They’re not ignorant of the modern world and technologies, they’ve made a choice to live in a different manner than the rest of us:

6 Likes