Michigan mayors proposes ban on personal flamethrowers

You jury-rigged one. That counts.

Daemon witch vampires back for revenge after 200 years? (spoiler, the cops defeat him with their flamethrower)

1 Like

Two hands operating two devices independently. I have a hard time seeing the final ordinance being so generic when they are targeting specific products.

They moved to Grosse Pointe.

7 Likes

A length of duct tape can solve that problem neatly. There are lighters/torches that can be locked in enabled position for sustained operation; just perfect for the pilot flame.

Please, please spare the Pyro-trombone:

6 Likes

“automatically assuming people will do stupid things with his company’s products” …
comes as a result of knowing people who likely would do stupid things with his company’s products? Sure, there are people who would use a flamethrower responsibly. But who among us can’t name at least one friend and/or relative of theirs who upon being given a flamethrower wouldn’t have the immediate reaction “Let’s roast some < stuff >!” where you can fill in a more or less profane synonym for “stuff”?

2 Likes

Were you planning to put the (small) flamethrower on front of your car? You do realize the effect that would have on your gas mileage – down to 17 feet per gallon?

Whoa, that’s pretty crazy. But no, I was dreaming of a handheld flamethrower to just make a path to my front door. Six feet of snow isn’t easy to carve through.

I think I understand the ‘what’ of that, but not the ‘why’ - why would one de-ice a creek? It’s winter. Bodies of water ice over in winter.

The usual tools I’m familiar with for making holes in ice are an axe (for thin ice) or an ice auger (for thick ice)

there was a reason, but I forget. I’ll try to search for the post or maybe he’ll get in the thread

EDIT: Daneel found it, reposted just below. I remembered the bit about the creek but remembered the rest wrong:

A stream that provides water to the closest town runs right through my yard. I am unwilling to use toxic chemicals on the property to deal with the invasive species that come downstream so I torch 'em

If you outlaw flamethrowers, only outlaws will have flamethrowers.

4 Likes

Flamethrowers are good for thinner layers of snow. Everybody knows that ordinary explosives are better for thick layers.

1 Like

Sounds like more for weeding:

4 Likes

They’re super useful for deicing a sidewalk. Maybe the one depicted here is for killing people/things, so i’m not defending it specifically, but there is no better way to clear a sidewalk than an ‘ice melting torch’ (probably called that for legal reasons), it literally even leaves the path dry afterward. Pretty amazing. I guess emissions are the downside.

1 Like

Friend of mine grew up in Oregon. His father would use a flamethrower to kill off invading blackberry vines, and the kids would use shovels to put out any remaining fire. (Obviously that was the wet side of Oregon.)

4 Likes

OK, I suppose I can see that. I mean, where I live, we get quite cold winters, so there is no way anyone is going to try to heat sidewalks hot enough to not only melt but evaporate the ice. Just trying you’d probably burn enough fuel to drive somewhere warm and skip winter altogether.

But if your winter weather is typically only a few degrees below freezing, so any sand you lay down will probably just sink to the bottom when it melts on a warm afternoon, and be visible through the smooth new ice in the morning…

1 Like

This is Detroit–urban agriculture has been advocated by those who don’t know the first thing about soils.

As for the police-- ugh. Even if there was a legitimate use,-- getting rid of a wasp nests, the ideal people to supervise would be firefighters…

I can’t actually get to the article. It just times out. Might be work blocking it. I could see banning within the city limits. I don’t see a state wide ban needed.

And as the part of the article copied: “Council members are seeking further clarification on what would constitute as a flamethrower under the proposal.”

That is important. What exactly does that include? Funny cars that shoot out flames? People with lighters and spray cans? Butane torches people use for all sorts of handy work?

Everyone wants freedom until it comes to actually letting people be free.

1 Like

I think this is the intended target of the ban

1 Like