Michigan mayors proposes ban on personal flamethrowers

I understand. I live in Massachusetts so I know what last winter was like. Luckily I lived in an apartment and a condo this winter, so I didn’t actually have to shovel anything. The staff at the two complexes did clear a lot but they had fairly heavy machinery to do it.

I smell a new Mythbusters episode in the making “What’s the best way to clear snow?” :grinning:

1 Like

Wouldn’t this be a nice application for radioisotope heaters?

…waaaaant!
…todo…

I saw this awhile ago and thought about messaging you…

1 Like

The US Army in its’ wisdom doesn’t use flamethrowers anymore (real easy for the enemy to shoot the operator or the tank, causing friendly fire [heh heh] problems.) They use rocket launchers that fire napalm/phosphorous shells.

Some of the rockets have even yummier fillings. E.g. thickened triethylaluminium.

Would it cover this?

3 Likes

Probably yes, given the politicos’ love for banning everything fun.

Unless you get the rest of the motor pool with you. Then they’d run into well-deserved enforcement trouble.

Don’t hesitate. :smiley:

Also, from their FAQ it looks like they use a car fuel injection pump powered from aircraft model grade 12V (3S) Li-poly batteries.

Could be coupled with fuel injection valves for computer-controlled pyrotechnic displays (or a hardcore fixed area-denial defense system).

For the computer controlled flames, alcohol with dissolved pyrotechnic colorants could allow for making colored flame sequences. Bonus points for DMX512 protocol control.

The stream that flows through my yard provides drinking water to the town of Newark, DE, home of the University of Delaware and 30,000 other folks. I use my flamethrower to control invasive exotic pests on the property without recourse to toxic herbicides. Bonus, lesser celandine is edible when roasted!

Roundup ™ is a greater threat to you than flamethrowers, but we humans aren’t real great at risk analysis. :slight_smile:

Edit: OK I apologize for being late to the party! You guys had it covered already…

3 Likes

Glad to see you here. Where’ve you been?

Flamethrowers were deprecated for a number of reasons, but operators getting blown up by a tank rupture wasn’t really one of them. The pressurized propellant was non-flammable, and the fuel itself was tricky to ignite.

We need to summon the expert, posthaste:

4 Likes

To be fair, operating a flame thrower while riding in a moving vehicle is not particularly safe.

1 Like

But what it lacks in safety it gains in fun! :smiley:

2 Likes

Um, Boston, Chicago, Hatteras Island, Boston again, Seattle, and Pennsic… it’s been an absurdly busy summer!

2 Likes

Ah, for weed control - that makes more sense to me than melting the ice, as was suggested some ways upthread.

IN 15000 years when the glaciers reclaim all of north North America, we might need them to melt ice.

2 Likes

Too much ice for combustibles. I’d suggest small atomic piles.