Michigan State "deeply sorry" for displaying Hitler image on scoreboard at football game

So, Nazis.

12 Likes

i think we can assume - like you say, times being what they are - it was done maliciously, and not by ignorance or mistake.

7 Likes

Looks like someone just pulled a video from YouTube: https://youtu.be/D-bQQ0HhGwI?t=645
(General Knowledge #18 from The Quiz Channel, around 10:45)

8 Likes

I don’t know. Given the comment right after yours, it seems like the answer to why this happened is mostly attributable to laziness. I wonder if they even got permission to use that video.

8 Likes

There’s a comment from that channel owner. Apparently they were unaware their content was being used, and MSU did not obtain permission. Someone is getting fired today.

13 Likes

F Green! F White!

in general, i feel like it’s best to assume bigotry and racism because that kind of malice so often gets swept under the rug as accidents, stupidity, mistakes, or jokes.

for one thing, it’s rarely as big harm for a person to be accused of racist behavior compared to the harm caused by the behavior itself, or the harm of ignoring it.

in this case, like you say: someone still needs to be fired. the trivia maker might also want to label their trivia for people who don’t ever want hitler popping up on their game night.

and even with all that: it’s also very easy to google “youtube hitler trivia”

6 Likes

That means they can re-use it. Yay, sustainability!

7 Likes

…and their hiring john engler (MI’s worst gov until that Flint-poisoning shyster snyder) to bully that bastard’s victims into dropping their cases, or accept smaller settlements, etc.

Students were saying it was far too easy for non-students to access bldgs on campus when it happened… :woman_shrugging:

state sure has been doing some serious fucking up over the last few years. The Spartans ain’t happy.
8642_868e

6 Likes

This, I gather:

5 Likes

It’s “smoke Green, snort White”, but you would’ve had to paid attention to the crowd noise at a UM hockey home game to know this.

4 Likes

As an Ohioan, a native of Columbus, I wouldn’t be caught dead anywhere near Ann Arbor. Which is super awkward for me because I work for one of the Big 3 and am in Detroit all the time, and there are work events that get scheduled near there. :smiley:

1 Like

Just leave your red and white at home, and you should be fine. Also, seek out places townies hang, most of us don’t give a crap about what happens at the U beyond how crappy traffic is going to be because of some sportsball thing they’re doing. :wink:

5 Likes

Scarlet and gray, scarlet and gray!

You got the Toledo Strip…

tophat-biggrin

ETA
Disclaimer: I support no colleges nor any of their sportsball teams.

1 Like

Have you BEEN to Toledo? I have, it’s…there.

My wife (also Columbus native, but we didn’t know each other until both of us were in Chicago) is a fan of the NFL sportsball team in Cleveland, and as I like to remind her, nothing north of Upper Sandusky really is Ohio, or at least, any part we’d want to claim.

I was reading the comments under The Detroit News article.

This one wins the stupidity prize.

Here in Michigan we also had this story this weekend, it’s tragic. They just said it’s not an antisemitic crime and they appear to have a suspect but all of this is not good right now. It’s not good anytime but here in Detroit there is a lot of serious tension.

6 Likes

yeah, people here tend to take this shit seriously, since not too few of us are already seeing our rights diminished in various ways… There are endless trollies out there who show up and JAQ off about this kind of shit on a regular basis. These are issues that need to be taken seriously, not just dismissed as some people being too hysterical. So, yeah, we take it seriously… :woman_shrugging:

they shall not pass spanish civil war GIF by Amy Ciavolino

These are dangerous times and really we need to start taking these threats seriously, even if we’re not directly being threatened by what’s going on.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

12 Likes

I don’t know, I think it’s beautiful… :wink:

5 Likes

Even our governor is publicly criticizing the university for what’s been going on.

4 Likes