Michigan State University shooter kills 3 then self

Both campuses are a big part of many Michigander’s lives. As a state, I think we’re all pretty heartbroken right now.

7 Likes

Watching Detroit local news just now, they interviewed a student who was in the middle school next to Douglas high school the day of the Parkland shooting. This is just too much. I feel so terrible for the kids that survived or had trauma from locking down in previous mass shootings. No kid should have to endure even one mass shooting. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

7 Likes

I hope it’s not “too soon” to discuss the fact that the people who benefit from the current profligate interpretation of the 2A, namely firearm owners and manufacturers, have predictably done fuckall to initiate any action at all to address the problem of mass shootings.

I mean, we’rebat the point where survivors of previous school shootings hundreds of miles away are now survivors of another school shooting. If you own or sell firearms, at what point do you wake up and realize that you are the problem?

8 Likes

Oil companies knew long ago just what impact their industry had on the climate. There’s no doubt in my mind that gun manufacturers have long had a thorough understanding of the violence they aid and instigate.

8 Likes

Both industries responded to their awareness of their products’ extreme toxicity by mounting expensive, decades-long misinformation campaigns modeled on the pioneering work of the tobacco industry.

7 Likes

But it’s not just the manufacturers. In the case of firearms, the owners are just as culpable. They are the ones who have pushed back at every proposed restriction that has been put forward as even a miniscule incremental improvement in public gun safety.

4 Likes

It’s so nice to see the rep for my hometown* say something sensible about this.

Her predecessor, Mike Bishop, was an acquaintance of mine. Despite the fact that he himself was involved in a shooting (i.e., the one where Steve Scalise was shot), Bishop had an A/A+ rating from the NRA and never, ever would have offered anything but thoughts and prayers.

*With the caveat that with the recent redistricting I’m no longer sure if it’s still in her district.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.