Michigan State University shooter kills 3 then self

Originally published at: Michigan State University shooter kills 3 then self | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I and many of my friends and family went there. We are very familiar with the locations and grieve for the survivors and the families of the dead.

22 Likes

Our governor was crying during the press conference.

There were students present at this shooting that survived the Oxford shooting a year and a half ago.

“Our Spartan community and Michiganders across the state are devastated.

MSU’s campus is a special place for so many, and it is now the site of another senseless act of gun violence. Parents across Michigan were on pins and needles calling their kids to check in on them and tell them they love them.

It doesn’t have to be this way.

Certain places are supposed to be about community, learning, or joy—elementary schools and college campuses, movie theaters and dance halls, grocery stores and workplaces. They should not be the sites of bloodshed.

This is a uniquely American problem. Too many of us scan rooms for exits when we enter them. We plan who that last text or call would go to. We should not, we cannot, accept living like this.

I want to thank the first responders for their swift actions on the ground tonight and the medical professionals who are working to save lives.

Spartans will cry and hold each other a little closer. We will mourn the loss of beautiful souls and pray for those fighting for their lives in the hospital.”

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer

24 Likes

This year is set to break records for mass shootings.

Just to avoid the usual dodges on why this keeps happening (and perhaps to add a new one)…

18 Likes

I think that Berkey Hall was the first place, as a grad TA, I ever taught a class…

11 Likes

I’m hearing that some parents are taking their kids home. Might be a good idea just so they can decompress and process what happened last night. I can imagine some of these kid’s parents need the same. But I can’t begin to imagine what the families of the victims and the surviving injured are going through today. It’s heartbreaking and leaves me feeling helpless to do anything that can substantially decrease the sheer volume of gun violence plaguing the US. Until the cult of gun ownership is structurally dismantled, there may not be much that can be done.

Take care, Spartans. :cry:

15 Likes

I was glued to Scanner Radio listening to it all go down. Students locked down. Some evacuated and freezing in the cold. Like 20 or more RTF squads scattered all over looking for this guy and responding to dozens of 911 calls saying someone spotted him or shots were heard or people were screaming. Just a chaotic mess that’s becoming all too familiar. Felt like I was listening to a TV show.

7 Likes

I got word a couple hours ago, we have a great niece and nephew attending Michigan. One was in the hall and sheltered in place the other was off campus and came right home.

Thank God they’re okay. I can’t imagine being their parents.

Elissa Slotkin is pissed and she’s right. She’s the representative from Lansing and the surrounding area including Oxford which is why she’s even more angry.

Our republican representatives from our red counties have pretty much been silent except for the standard copy and paste of thoughts and prayers.

12 Likes

Not even thoughts and prayers anymore, this was her first tweet of the day and since the shooting.

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 15-37-56 Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene🇺🇸 (@RepMTG) _ Twitter

13 Likes

It was already a fraught time for some of us near campus. In the Okemos area last week a dead body was found on one of the elementary school playgrounds and then the next day all of the schools were put on lockdown due to a report of an active shooter. (It was a prank call/SWATting that was done to a few other schools in the state.) A shooting just down the road from them at a place where family and friends are either employees or students is overwhelming.

My wife works for the University and occasionally works evenings. She’s trying to keep it together. One of her student employees knew two of the students killed. None of this ever sits well, but this is the first time any of this has been so close to home, literally and figuratively.

13 Likes

On the way to work today, I saw something I never thought would happen - the Rock at Hill and Washtenaw (Wolverines know what this is) was painted white with three green letters, “MSU”. :pleading_face:

11 Likes

Speaking of the rock, look what happened to MSU’s rock.

6 Likes

AT&T can’t cancel what they don’t have.

This is Empty though, she probably thinks that Richard Nixon is a communist.

6 Likes

That reads pretty communist to me. I thought her party was all about free enterprise and government keeping its hands out of business?

3 Likes

“Capitalism is when the free market does what we want.
Communism is when the free market doesn’t do what we want.”

from the Book of 21st Century Republicanism.

11 Likes

Checks out

6 Likes

Sweet FSM, that is some balloneyshit. I’d be willing to bet it gets repainted before tomorrow morning.

6 Likes

It did, the article was updated

Tuesday afternoon’s message reads, “To those we lost, to those healing, Brian, Arielle, Alexandria.” This message replaced the previous repainting of the rock with the following message, “Allow us to defend ourselves & carry on campus.”

6 Likes

8 Likes

I’ve spent nearly half my life on both schools’ campuses. I wish I could heart your comment more.

8 Likes