Microsoft thinks Minecraft's creator is a creeper

with that kind of money you wouldnt even need netflix for distribution.

2 Likes

Dont think so…I mean…no, fuck no:

6 Likes

Don’t we all either succumb to or overcome our own selves?
Fuck that, I would love to be in his shoes. He has the means to reinvent himself every day.

2 Likes

He seems to have a certain word fixation, too much money, and way too much time on his hands.

That amused me, what with it being (originally) a mining game, and how much time I spent back in the day trying to hit gold in Minecraft.

Only if he goes where nobody knows him. Otherwise, he’s loading up quite the train of baggage that he will be hauling around. Or hiring people to haul for him, I guess.

6 Likes

Yeah, Notch is the videogame version of the asshole book author you find out about years later after loving their books…

Best way to deal with it IMHO is compartmentalise the creator and the product into separate boxes… It’s okay to like the product whilst noting the creator may be sub pond-life in personal morals…

My take on it…

6 Likes

There’s a story that Persson’s childhood was marred by mental illness, substance abuse, etc. It often seems to be the case with otherwise-inexplicable adult behavior. I don’t offer this as an excuse, but as an exhortation that we really do need to take care of the kids.

4 Likes

Phrases about asserting victimization of whites is a type of dog whistle.

You’ll have a lot of trouble in this world if you take everything at face value without any content. Try not to rise up and defend random strangers for their literal statements when you aren’t aware of the additional non-literal meaning and motives behind those statements.

5 Likes

But WHO CARES, he’s a billionaire now.

He can call himself an “investor” for the rest of his life. He never needs to write another line of code.

He’s only 39. For a billionaire he’s practically still a teenager. There is no excuse for this.

THIS :+1:

8 Likes

Even if I suddenly became simply a millionaire, I’d fucking disappear.

*To make an important point, I have no wife or kids.
** Wait, pay off all debts, and then disappear.

10 Likes

All that money - and his still has to hang out with his shitty only friend- himself.

7 Likes

He’s sad because he can’t figure out how to relate to people who aren’t billionaires. His old friends were overachieving workaholics and he’s not anymore. He’s afraid the people around him now only want access to his wealth, which is plausible because he’s a giant asshole.

Seems like the main problem here, to which he could devote literally millions of dollars every month if he wanted, would be to FIGURE OUT HOW TO STOP BEING AN ASSHOLE. Not to double down because he hates the world.

11 Likes

He needs a puppy.

Poor damn puppy.

5 Likes

Noooo, don’t give this man a puppy. Don’t you see the harm in that?

10 Likes

Just him and his candy wall.

2 Likes

It depends as well on your personal sense of morals.

If Hitler was a great painter, as in truly one of the greats and whose paintings really have something to offer the art world (obviously not true) would it be immoral to enjoy them?

Hitler is an extreme case because of his status as a cultural icon for shitty people. So yes, it would be immoral to enable his memory and legacy to live on. (IMO)

A lesser shitbag, it is less clearly cut. Let’s say it was Jared Fogel this time who was (I dunno) a brilliant violinist. My take is that I can separate the work from the man in my mind. I can enjoy his music for what it is and not have it ruined by what else he got up to. Not everyone is like this, and that is fine! Now. Fogel is still alive. So it would be immoral for me to pay money for his work and thus enable him in living. So in this case I might pirate his music, or I just continue to enjoy what I already own.

Applying this logic to the Cosby show is more complicated still…

5 Likes

The only answer.

8 Likes

Very this. Pride in most decent-sized cities these days is basically Rainbow St. Patrick’s Day.

I may start believing the concern trollies are sincere instead of racist and homophobic as soon as I see one of them howling at the sky about the lack of a special celebration for people who aren’t Irish (because that makes exactly as much sense) instead of pretending their 1/16 ancestry makes them Irish.

8 Likes

Well, to his credit, at least he had the foresight to sell Minecraft so it can be divorced from … whatever the monster is he intuited he was gonna change into.

It is surprising that “just … don’t become a total a-hole” is such a hard thing for some people to avoid, though?

10 Likes

This was my first guess

That is to say, I’ve never encountered a person ashamed of or trying to hide their heterosexuality.

20 Likes

He always struck me as a deeply sad and lost character, long before any of this stuff. When he got his billions and immediately ran out to buy a stupid Hollywood mansion because (I kid you not) it had gumball machines, I knew things were going to go poorly for him.

I suspect he never had much friendship, and YouTube and the Alt-Right fascist scum were happy to step in.

12 Likes