Microsoft to kill Internet Explorer brand

The only reason that mode exists is for corporations that refuse to update to current standards and froze their intranet development circa 2005.

(I forgot to add on my caveat that I worked on IE4 and IE5 too. Luckily, IE6 wasn’t my fault as I was working on MSN Explorer by then (with much of the old IE team).)

1 Like

I know. I just wish it was turned off by default, but I understand why it’s not (since developers doing internal testing on websites are probably far less prevalent than worker drones in those horrible companies that need IE6/7-compatible intraweb sites)

I remember having admin rights to my laptop once and upgraded to IE8, then discovered that none of the online training software worked post IE6

It’s a pain in the arse getting back to IE6. I could get to 7, then it would automatically detect it was out of date and update it.

Users, eh?

4 Likes

That’s not the norm. Most companies that issue computers to end users deploy them with a standard image.

So they can get company nannyware?

I’ve never worked at these companies, having spent my 20+ career in various software engineering companies. I feel sorry for folks that do.

1 Like

Who the hell would use a computer ever day and not have admin rights to it?

Man, it is like the 19th century around here.

8 Likes

Anyone working in a corporate environment not able to make up excuses reasons to need them?

Hell, it still beats my first day at my first job in 1999 when I was presented with my VT220 terminal to work on. But that lynx browser was sweet.

5 Likes

I spent 9 years at Microsoft, for example, and I never had to make up a reason to have admin on my own box.

This may just be a difference between companies where we actually make the software and companies that only use it. If I started a new job and they gave me a locked down machine, I’d walk and find a better job. Otherwise, it is like working in 1984 or a 19th century sweatshop.

3 Likes

“The Blackwater of browsers is to get a new name.” Totally inaccurate. Sparty is a totally new browser. Hello?

1 Like

Yeah I had to put in for long term local admin rights cause the dev tools I support require me to teak admin things regularly otherwise I still would not it.
Before that even though I was a sysadmin we didn’t have admin rights to the workstations and honestly we didn’t need them outside of the odd program that was not available on the enterprise install tool. I know it irked a few guys but meh, it was the work machine for doing work stuff and we had all the tools needed and we have different accounts for server work anyway. I think the only issues I had recently was having to use a web client for LotusNotes email that kept wanting to install an active X control and it wasn’t necessary to work.

Yes, this is very much the case. There is absolutely no reason for joe schmoe in the call centre to be able to install anything on their computer other than what is provided by the company. As a developer myself, I would be super annoyed to not have local admin (hell, I’d be annoyed not to have admin on our QA servers), but I can see the case for not giving end users (who may have very little knowledge of computers) that kind of free reign.

1 Like

Usually, no. Simply so that a fubarred computer can be put back into action almost instantly. For example, if Microsoft Office goes berserk and writes randomly across physical disk sectors, the fastest fix is PXE boot to the corporate image server, and slam down the image the user prefers (which typically has a software suite preinstalled). The user is back into production rapidly and happily.

Just the fact that they use preconfigured disk images is not necessarily an indicator that they are bleak corporate hives you wouldn’t want to work in. I can have an image made of my computer any time I want, and restore back to that image at will, without using any local storage. It’s pretty nice.

And yes, I have full admin rights. If I didn’t, I would just crack the machine using a linux bootable and move on.

1 Like

Internet Explorer is a "brand’ the way Windows is a “brand.” It’s what you get when you buy a computer, for the vast majority of people.

As a software developer, I work on “hard” problems every day on the web, and have precisely the opposite experience as you.

What “hard” problems do you work on where IE is the best tool for the job?

1 Like

++ to you

2 Likes

Anybody who leaves “what you get” installed with a new system is asking for trouble. Not that it doesn’t happen, but still…

Don’t look at me. I’ve been using a dual-boot Linux/Windows one-two punch for years now, but growing evidence suggests that most people growing up with technology see it as a black box.

“…I still use both Chrome and Firefox the majority of the time, but god DAMN they love to suck up the memory…”

This is so true.

1 Like

I wasn’t suggesting that people avoid Windows (although I think there is often a case to be made there), but rather the bloat and insecurity of any pre-installed OS. Somebody gave to me a laptop recently with Linux on it, and I don’t trust that either. There’s just not any assurance of any system not being compromised right out of the box.

I thought you meant that people should avoid just blindly using whatever they got from the store- which is sorta what you meant. Ultimately though, it’s not worth even the minimal effort to uninstall IE, anyway.