Microsoft to make Skype usable again

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/07/microsoft-to-make-skype-usable.html

4 Likes

Discord be where it at, yo.

2 Likes

Wasn’t broke, shouldn’t have fixed.

Migrated to Slack, won’t be back.

Except for international calls, but that’s alls.

9 Likes

Hey Microsoft, 2003 calling, I want my Skype back.

2 Likes

grumpy

3 Likes

we use Skype for business at work. It replaced a homegrown chat/screen share app we had.

Yeah…this version of Skype sucks as much as our app ever did.

1 Like

MS seems to have a history of turning whatever it touches into semi-crap. Anyone remember the Down and Dirty Operating System (eventually DOS)? (eh, maybe it was the Quick and Dirty OS; I like mine better)

1 Like

Or they discontinue something that “just works” like Groove and expect you to replace it with something over-engineered like SharePoint.

3 Likes

Ribbon.  

Skype is still a thing five years after it was revealed to be part of the NSA’s PRISM system? Do people want their conversations to be analyzed and likely archived by the U.S. government?

2 Likes

Sure. But why would anyone use Skype though?

You know that you live in a dystopian ‘mobile’-poxed cellphone app hell when a software vendor that has been calling their operating system “Windows” since shortly after dirt entered open beta is planning, just planning, to reintroduce some semblance of multiple window support to their PC client.

1 Like

You invoke Sharepoint and I release the curse of the fleas of a thousand camels upon you! Our office uses Sharepoint and I cannot think of a less user-friendly way to store files for everyone who needs access. Unless you use the ‘Beware of the Leopard’ system.

3 Likes

SharePoint isn’t technically ‘engineered’.

In a regrettable Incident some years back WebDAV was tricked into a harrowing pocket dimension where your most terrible fears and esoteric desires are made real; and trapped in a nightmare from which there is no waking.

Periodically the veil between the worlds wanes, a dim shadow of that world writhes into ours; and a new SharePoint release is upon us.

4 Likes

Ugh. I use SfB too. God forbid you try to sync conversations across a laptop and a phone with it, too. At least normal Skype has always done that pretty well.

1 Like

lol no.

(Messages have to be at least 9 characters long or something but all you need about Skype at this point is a few lines up)

1 Like

Dear Microsoft,
Once you get your hands on… Anything… And inevitably ruin it, just because you change it back, does not mean people automatically come back.
Normally, you buy it, we know you You will destroy everything we like about it ,and find a replacement.
Your business model is simply toxic.

There remains precisely one person I still communicate to via Skype. If the Universe is kind I will be able to convince them to switch and cut that thread, too, and finally blessedly be free of the unspeakable horror of Skype. I would have accepted all of the nonsense it puts you through, I really would, but the way it would decide, randomly, whether messages go to mobile, desktop, both, neither, or some shadowy nether-realm where you get notified but can’t actually read the message… that was just a step too far.

1 Like

I actually had a Microsoft tech-support guy recently (two months ago) direct me to install a legacy Desktop version of Skype to export and then re-import my “friends list” into a new account. It was like the old days of ICQ.

Make Skype Great Again?