Microsoft will buy Linkedin for $26.2B

No app, never shared any contacts, and I tend to keep my browser stuff fairly sanitized…

2 Likes

Oh dear. I just broke the news to my partner. He’s on LinkedIn a lot right now because he’s eh ah… back on the job market suddenly, after a contract ended abruptly.

Through this transformational change at LinkedIn, I’m hoping he can proceed adaptively to leverage his core competencies.

http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/gobbledygook-generator.html
Simple yet dreadful.

Staggering list of nearly unintelligible verbiage from SourceForge:
http://cbsg.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/live
The Corporate Bullshit Generator

3 Likes

I know the feeling this week. :crying_cat_face:

3 Likes

And my account is now closed. Sadly, I’m sure none of my data was removed.

this might be microsofts answer to netscape

you don’t need the bruise screen to jimmy up major attacks
the bbc says that sky tv is more valuable
but we all know microsoft need to attend to business

I don’t even sympathise.

1. Don’t create account
  2. Spend 5 seconds creating spam filter

You’ll forget LinkedIn exists.

On the other hand as a freelancer it’s my primary source of work, so I’ve never really got the hate (given steps 1 and 2).

The irony is half these people probably spend all day on Facebook.

Only relevant fact:

• Does this mean more LinkedIn emails?!?

Clicked the link and was very tempted to add her to my professional network (hedgehog pictures? Already the most valuable contact I’d have) when I realised that Linkedin was suggesting people who are similar to her.

Maybe MS can improve that particular algorithm…

1 Like

Well it doesn’t mean fewer emails.

But why close it now? Microsoft at least would protect your data unlike the previous owners.

Well, LinkedIn was a user content generating social network first, the getting jobs part is way down the hierarchy of features. Novelty accounts aren’t any more useless than the series of shotgun-approach recruiters that wasted my time while Craigslist gave me legitimate leads that were actually looking to hire.

1 Like

Serious question here: I am actively avoiding being on LinkedIn because I don’t want my life plastered all over the Internet. Am I shooting myself in the foot at all? Do employers really give a shit?

1 Like

I’ve never used it and I don’t think it’s holding me back, but I have only changed jobs once in the last 12 years or so…

Employers don’t care. I’m in Software QA and while I would get regular blast messages about a position or department that was hiring, but the recruiters would be sending them to so many other QA and devs at a time that I’d never get much of a response from the recruiter, they were highly flakey and mostly from outside of my state trying to get me to move to Provo or some shitburgh. This might change as you go up the management chain, I imagine.

I had already done the stupid of myspace though that is all gone now yay. LinkedIn can be annoying but not terribly so. I already have internet presence from all the tournament scrabble, warhammer 40k tournaments, my haven’t updated in ages flickr account. It isn’t facebook by any account. They do a good job of keeping it for professional contacts only.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.