Mike Pompeo: "There will be a smooth transition to a second Trump administration"

It’s easy to get complacent because we’re all tired and annoyed with the last 5 years of chaos. Even though they have a low chance of success with an actual coup, they can yet cause lots of damage if we’re not careful.

First, there’s the danger of one of their wacky lawsuits succeeding and even setting a precedent. Then there’s the actuality that a large percentage of the 70million + who voted for him will get swept up in the rhetoric and start to believe in the coup. Already there are some congresscreatures who are lining up behind the coup, even though they initially rejected it.

(McConnel and a bunch of others. I heard about it before but don’t have time to look up all their names. I’ll update this post later.)

13 Likes

The likely danger isn’t that they risk getting the apparatus of the Federal Government to buy into these BS claims of a rigged election. It’s that they convince 40 percent of the American public that the entire government is illegitimate.

That’s the kind of shit that can turn nutjobs like Timothy McVeigh or the Bundy family from outliers into full-blown national movements, with all the unrest and bloodshed that implies.

43 Likes

Wow. Just wow.

4 Likes

Pretty sure what we’re seeing is a pre-election game plan playing out. The plan being to delegitimize the results of the election enough to give GOP controlled legislatures the balls to try to give their electoral votes to Trump regardless of the outcome in their states. Hopefully I’m just being paranoid but Pompeo’s smug confidence here makes it seem like he knows what’s up and what’s coming.

21 Likes

You seem to be forgetting to factor in the virus into your scenarios.

Whether they realize it or not, a lot of people are not going to survive this winter.

22 Likes

In the minds of assholes like Pompeo war is the next step. Bloodless or not, total power in trump is their end game.

What are we going to do when they ignore Dec 15 certifications and attempts to inaugurate Biden?

Who or what will push back?

14 Likes

The little shit-eating smirk-giggle at the end is the icing on the cake. Consummate professionalism always.

4 Likes

Is this the plan? Most likely. Fortunately we have yet to see much in the way of state legislatures taking up that program. But we have more than a month before the electoral college meets, so we can’t relax yet.

8 Likes

One last fundraising grift on the way out?

For Trump it is a question of staying in power or going to prison. So he will burn it all down if he has to. Pompeo may be facing a similar calculus.

We had to know it would come to this when Trump stopped running against Biden and started running against the election itself. Most of us saw this coming 3 years ago.

I sincerely hope that the US survives as a constitutional republic with some form of democracy. Out here in the rest of the world we give you guys about a 50% chance of making it to 2030 as a democratic country.

22 Likes

Pompeo belongs in prison.

11 Likes

I’m not complacent. Neither am I food for fucking energy leeches.

22 Likes

And now, @beschizza this:

19 Likes

Right, I’m getting this vibe from how many GOP stooges keep using variations on “we have to count all the legal votes” and “there is a process by which electors are selected”, seeming to indicate that, while in every other election in modern history we’ve been able to reliably trust that the winner of the state gets the electoral votes, somehow this year is going to be different.

11 Likes

These people are a fucking cancer. And what do you do with cancer before it kills you? You cut it out, burn it with radiation, poison it with chemicals, and sick the body’s own immune system on it. You don’t just live with it unless you want to die a slow, painful death. These people need to be REMOVED ASAP before they kill the host.

17 Likes

What? That doesn’t make any sense.

11 Likes

One of the things we can all do is boycott every business that is based in Kentucky.

I would go so far as to say it’s vital to the planet that the US makes it through this. All the citizens of the world cannot allow the country with a military bigger than the next ten of us combined to descend into fascism. That ends very very badly for everyone. So check your smug at the door, Europeans and my fellow Canadians.

45 Likes

Thank you for reminding folks of that; if the US burns, we burn the entire world with us, and NO ONE SANE WANTS THAT.

35 Likes

Canada knows that if the US goes rogue, we’re the first to get crushed under that jackboot. We’re as nervous as anyone about the situation.

23 Likes

La-Hooo Zuh-Herrrr

12 Likes