Jared Kushner casually talks about canceling election, then tries to walk it back

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/13/jared-kushner-casually-talks-a.html

8 Likes

“Hopefully by the time we get to September, October, November, we’ve done enough work with testing and with all the different things we’re trying to do to prevent a future outbreak of the magnitude that would make us shut down again,”

We will most certainly not, not in that time frame.

“I’m not sure I can commit one way or the other, but right now that’s the plan,” he said.

WTF is he talking about? It is not his to commit to one way or the other!

“I really believe that once America opens up, it’ll be very hard for America to ever lock down again.”

And that is the terrifying part. This (I believe) is the opening salvo in the effort to make the Trump family our own Kim dynasty. No more elections, just let them appoint the nest “dear leader.” Use the pandemic as the tool to dismantle our at-this-point exceptionally fragile democracy, knowing that a plurality of the electorate will support it whole-heartedly, and a sadly significant part will just hang their heads and accept it. I soooo hope to be wrong, but I am as sure as I can be that the effort will be made. The success? That is yet to be seen.

44 Likes

From beacon of hope to biggest bully in the playground to banana republic in what, ~3 generations? Nice going.

39 Likes

“Not aware of any discussions…”

His lawyers are already working on this cover up.

15 Likes

3 presidential elections. Obama-Trump-OMG WTF comes next???

15 Likes

American exceptionalism at its finest. When we do a thing, we do it all the way, and if that thing happens to be fucking up our own shit, we fuck it up real good.

Unfortunately for the rest of the world, we have a storied history of fucking up other people’s shit too. Becoming internationally irrelevant/reviled might be bad for America, but will likely prove a net positive for everyone else.

21 Likes

Consigliere Kushner.

12 Likes

32 Likes

If the Trump family isn’t going to play by the rules, I have no qualms with helping The People forcibly to remove them from office.

41 Likes

The President’s term ends in January regardless of an election happening. If there’s no elected incumbent to take office- it falls to the Speaker of the House.

51 Likes

Heh. Since nothing has been working the way it should in American politics for the last few years, I have my doubts that will either.

Instead, what I expect is severely limited voting that they can control for the outcome they want. Or for the entire thing to be decided “due to extenuating circumstances” by the electoral college.

At the very least, I expect shenanigans the likes of which our democracy has never seen, and for the people in power who could stop it to… not. Because it benefits them to not.

24 Likes

Yeah, as we’ve seen in countless examples throughout the world, all you have to do is cast enough doubt on the results of an election, and the whole system falls into chaos. To “win” the only thing these “if I have to tear the government down to prevent paying taxes / being regulated I will” assholes have to do is cheat and cheat hard. Their best case is they get away with it, their worst case the blatant cheating sends the country into chaos, in which case they just get their second choice - white collar lawlessness (police-state and street war for the rest of us).

“Disputed election results” are the standard chyron for shoulder-mounted rockets in the streets.

13 Likes

And many Americans will recognize that and accept Pelosi as president. Others, however…

3 Likes

Master trolling.

1 Like

well, that idea would certainly get people back on the streets all right. a LOT of people.

2 Likes

If there’s no election then the whole house also falls out of office in January as well. So without a speaker it falls to the President Pro Tempore of the Senate.

The wrinkle being that since there are more Republicans with terms ending in January, Senate Dems would basically have their pick of which member to make president.

11 Likes

FTFY :wink:

16 Likes

That really is the “invisible enemy” after all, isn’t it?

10 Likes

No - it would fall to whoever the House chooses as Speaker after Pelosi’s term ends. Likely a Democrat. Unless all House seats are up in the same year?

I think Mitch is also up for election.

4 Likes

They are. Two year terms, voted on in even years.

ETA: So, basically everyone in the house and a majority of senators would have an interest in passing some emergency terms extensions. Fuck.

6 Likes