Millennials are cheap because they're broke

Oh, they’re in demand! Last I checked it was three Morgan Freemans, ten Ben Carsons, and thirteen of that one that has a photo of Cosby doing his pound cake speech.

7 Likes

My bad! I thought it was Race Trader cards!

2 Likes

A good site for this sort of thing is www.thedemands.org

There’s a lot of:

We demand that the university administration publicly apologize to every member of the university community for every act of racism that’s ever been committed, anywhere.
We demand that black faculty get more pay, and that black students get more scholarships.
We demand that everyone be required to attend extensive sensitivity training sessions for which we will design the curriculum and determine what is considered appropriate participation.
We demand a bigger, fancier student meeting space for our exclusive use.
We demand that statements such as “support free speech” be treated as racist hate speech.

etc., etc.

That enough “actually listening to black people” for today??

2 Likes

Not for me, but I can easily imagine that it’s enough listening cherry-picking for you.

7 Likes

Instead of summing up what you think people are saying, why not go read what they are actually saying.

I don’t really understand why actually listening to people is such a hard thing for you to do.

ETA- for example, the campaign led by a friend of mine at Clemson:

Do you really think that “not having to attend classes in a building named after a slaver owner” is such a shitty thing to ask? Really?

8 Likes

Did you know that Clemson University is named after John C. Calhoun’s son-in-law? Why not insist on renaming the whole place.

2 Likes

I was originally writing about how the real estate bubble is making Millennials still poorer, so it was relevant. It is often their parents and their grandparents who are invested in real estate, so they are contributing to the problems of their own children and grandchildren, at least till they die. Money invested in housing which merely raises the price is money that is not being invested in job creating industry. Hence “post-industrial society” in which we apparently all get rich by selling lattes to one another.
A decline in real wages would not matter so much if the cost of goods was also dropping, but when combined with house price inflation it is a double whammy.

2 Likes

Why not?

4 Likes

Constant Comment?

5 Likes

What white person came up with that nonsense?

You’ve got to try harder if you want to have a shot at convincing people something like that is legit.

3 Likes

Is it racist (or speciesist) to object to straw men?

(I think most of us know that what’s being talked about here is people using the umbrella of free speech to protect their right to make racist remarks, and being called out for it.)
[Edit - and I expect you already avoid us Euro-weenies, but you know, if you were posting on a European website and not one subject to US law, you could probably be taken down over your icon.]

3 Likes

Really? Please advise. It’s taken from a Creative Commons e-book.

The “BY” part of the licence is probably violated, but I think your usage could be covered by the fair use clause in the US copyright.

we also have apparently decided the only response to mechanization even in cases that still need staff is to cut “unneeded” workers, not just have them work fewer hours.

I’ve done something a little like that…
I knew a guy trying to get his wife over here to the US from Sweden, but it was far beyond their combined means. They’d been asking for help from their friends but weren’t getting far, so an envelope showed up under his door with enough cash to cover 15% of what they needed.

3 Likes

Uh, Walmart.

Nobody but the top-tier management gets fulltime there. It’s an institution built on severe underemployment, and frankly a lot of people who work there would make more collecting unemployment than working there the hours they’re given. Which should just be illegal. If a company hires someone, then the company needs to at the very least match unemployment benefits. Otherwise it’s a scam.

6 Likes

I’m more talking factory workers, Wal-Mart’s cutting of hours isn’t due to mechanization replacing their workers, its because they’ve decided apparently they only need to keep 2 of the 50 checkout lines open at any one time even on major sale days and hiring staff big enough for the whole store to stay clean is for losers.

Probably because of their problems with workers trying to unionize: harder to talk with other workers long enough to do that when you have no time for anything else because you’re doing a job that really should be done by 3 people.

7 Likes

I saw this yesterday…

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-1128-random-tragedy-20151128-story.html

1 Like

If you are a bastard like me who has friends with eyes for detail, you deliver it in cash, sequential bills, all brand new, in a tamper resistant plastic deposit envelope. Maybe add a pouch or two of dessicant in there as well and an old photo of a farmhouse.

1 Like

There it is – almost everyone’s future.

5 Likes