Millions of migrating crabs trigger road closures

Originally published at: Millions of migrating crabs trigger road closures | Boing Boing

8 Likes
11 Likes

Crabs on the roadways in Cayman are a common cause of car accidents (slippery buggers). The feral cats are all smiling though.

7 Likes

The young crabs never believe the stories passed down about what the migration was like before the hairless apes showed up and built roads

17 Likes

Not quite a reboing - but there’s this…

5 Likes

They need to put in a bunch of culverts under the road

3 Likes

Why, when they can just do what they’re doing here, which is shut down the roads?

3 Likes

Ah, the NYPost:

1 Like

So they like… just see a story and sit around discussing how they can make it into a nightmare scenario?

12 Likes

That’s how they roll.
Not a crab roll, however, because I also learned this today:

4 Likes

Sweet J70 in this photo, tho.

17 Likes

8 Likes

That’s pretty awesome!

Not the only “wildlife” bridge in the world, either…

But given the volume, there probably still might be a need to shut down traffic for this.

This one is amazing!

A turtle tunnel under train tracks in Japan.

11 Likes

Turtle Tunnel!

10 Likes

doctor who squee GIF

7 Likes

Some trivial research shows that they are technically edible, but watery with low amounts of accessible meat and tough shells, but I suspect most of the “inedible” label is to avoid having the tourists eat them all. Most seafood isn’t particularly flavorful, and so serves as a substrate for the butter, salt, seasonings, and sauces which make them so tasty after all. I saw one mention of internal organ toxicity due to diet (they are scavengers and eat rotting things, after all), but sound overall safer than, say, fugu ,or shellfish in a red-tide zone, yet both of those are routinely served after appropriate purging and preparation.

5 Likes

I was thinking just that given how dangerous wet leaves can be in the Oakland hills.

1 Like

There was an episode of Spy in the Wild that had these crabs, and their spy crab(!) was creepin’ along with the rest giving a nice eye-level view and getting hit on.

Preview at .22; full episode may be for PBS paying customers.

5 Likes

Too many crabs in too many places.

Calling @wazroth do we need a bingo card for this as per the bridge? :wink:

1 Like

“Crabs have to drive right up to the crossing to turn onto Peaboy.”

3 Likes