Minimalist and striking Bell & Ross watch's dial looks like a radar screen

Originally published at: Minimalist and striking Bell & Ross watch's dial looks like a radar screen | Boing Boing

3 Likes

$4300 for something that looks like a plastic watch you’d get at Spencer Gifts.

Pass.

5 Likes

“Minimalist” eh? whut_eye_want: eInk (so always visible and recharge ≤ once/week), four big numbers HH/MM so they can be appreciated with the briefest of glances. that’s it; no steps, no heart, no email: so maybe $23.95. (“yeah… dream_on you old @#$!”) com’on Casio!

3 Likes

Or pay $50.00 US and toss it in the back of a dresser drawer when it losses its appeal.

8 Likes

If my understanding of the intended information design is correct, we are to to read this watch as having the inner ring representing the minutes and the outer ring representing the hours. However, this defies the long-established mental model for timepieces wherein the short hand is the hours and the long hand is the minutes.

Obviously the minutes / fighter plane should be on the outer ring and the hours / passenger plane should be on the inner ring. As a bonus the fighter plane would end up with a higher linear velocity.

Anyway, for $4300, am disappoint.

3 Likes

Came to say similar. I expect the larger/outer plane to do the minutes and the smaller inner one the hours. But the dials are marked with minutes on the inner dial and hours on the outer.

For this price I’d expect them to get it right and give some consideration to not almost deliberately setting out to make it unusable without significant brain rewiring.

1 Like

For this price, I expect them to use either P7 yellow/green or P13 orange phosphor colors instead of bright red.

5 Likes

ba35e58d-0467-4816-aef1-d1cbfa96787b_text

3 Likes

Couldn’t this be done with a face app on any smart watch, and still be under that price tag?

2 Likes

You can buy a genuine Omega Speedmaster Moon watch, be assured it will keep its value and last a lifetime - and still have change for less than this costs.

3 Likes

I’d have a second hand as the UFO…

Beholder, methinks something may be wrong with your eye.

2 Likes

Ugly watch. No style. Looks like a toy.

Sounds like a smartwatch use case. radar watch face Samsung Gear S3 - YouTube

1 Like

But is it tactical radar?

If my job was to program the processor in that watch, I would totally build in an easter egg graphic or game mode. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

I’d hope that for that price it had fancy hand-made tick-tocky innards even though it looks so plasticky on the outside.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.