Minimum viable howl

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/27/minimum-viable-howl.html

8 Likes

6 Likes

How unfair! That was a pretty decent effort at 0:40.

Wait… this is part nine?

11 Likes

I live not terribly far from the Wolf Conservation Center. My older brother helped socialize the last bunch of ambassador wolves when they were pups, including Alawa. It’s a great organization.

16 Likes

If I had never identified with a wolf before I could now…Sometimes its just too much effort to waste

9 Likes

Dang it Gary, you’re gonna start a howl.

10 Likes

19 Likes

I’ll second that. We did the overnight there once, and it was a lot of fun… seeing the socialized one close up, waking up to the howling of the ones they are not looking to socialize (for the purposes of releasing to the wild).

The only cringe-worthy moment was when they were discussing historical wolf populations, and the person said something like “400 years ago, before there were people in North America…” I mean, I knew what she meant, but still…

12 Likes

Heh-heh! I played that, and my German shepherd howled along.

She doesn’t seem to enjoy it; kind of an obligation rather than something fun.

10 Likes

I wonder if it’s louder in frequencies we can’t hear.

2 Likes

Oh wow. I really hope they’ve adjusted the language since then.

4 Likes

This clocks in at about 1 miliGinsberg

4 Likes

Wolf karaoke. Thanks previous bb post.

update: lazy howls go much better with jazz https://rave.dj/HPAaezhIGUL2Wg

5 Likes

Aren’t we not supposed to howl at/with wild wolves because it upsets them? I’m sure I read that somewhere this week.

1 Like

I actually don’t. Was she talking about habitat loss? The introduction of guns? Or sheep and cattle? Or wolf-eradication programs?

In any case, that’s pretty incredible.

2 Likes

No wolves? Am I reading this right?

2 Likes

This is what happens with the nanny state. Give 'em SSI, medicare and medicaid and this is what happens. /S

1 Like

“No howling at the moon expending maximum effort on all fours”

2 Likes

“400 years ago, before there were people in North America…”

There were people in North America long before 400 years ago.

1 Like