Minnesota is looking for a new state flag design and crowd-sourcing did not disappoint, resulting in some "absurd" and "ridiculous" designs

It is. It also harkens to the old Cook County seal which also included the river.

10 Likes

I remember a 99 percent invisible episode that talked about Flag design; the basic litmus test is that a grade schooler should be able to reproduce it accurately.

Looks like the old Amtrak symbol.

4 Likes

North and south branches!

4 Likes

Oh my, as I said,

Now counties have flags? :roll_eyes:

I’m suspicious along the lines of Divegirl that flags are a make-work program for graphic designers and flag makers.

2 Likes

Well if Cook County didn’t have a flag then DuPage county could come along and stake a claim, and nobody’s wants that!

5 Likes

Cities have flags. Some had had them for centuries.

Think I may design one for myself.

Philadelphia is both a city and a county. 1895.

Even boroughs have flags.

7 Likes

If we didn’t have lots and lots of flags, what would all the flagpoles do?

7 Likes

Tetherball for giants?

6 Likes

Save the flagpoles!

9 Likes

giphy-2200870179
Also, @KathyPartdeux, absolutely yes. Let’s make some room on some flagpoles.

5 Likes

If Minnesota puts Bigfoot on their flag they can expect an immediate declaration of war from both Washington and Oregon.

2 Likes

… there’s plenty of Bigfoot for everyone

happy dance GIF by Job, Joris & Marieke

6 Likes

The flag of my people looks black because it is only visible in UV wavelengths.

3 Likes

Do not tr0ll the tetrapod taxonomists. That never ends well.

2 Likes

I mean, indirectly? It takes up the motive of Scandinavian flags, which of course do feature Christian crosses, but the goal here seems to be to highlight Minnesota’s Scandinavian heritage, as with a few others of the designs.

Although, I don’t know whether highlighting one particular group of immigrants is a good idea. If they went by numbers, it would have to be a German flag anyway, like for most US states.

5 Likes

That makes sense for flags, but historically seals were supposed to be hard to forge, and keeping ornate or complex designs in line with that tradition seems reasonable.

5 Likes

It’s almost like seals and flags service different purposes, and putting one on the other defeats the purpose of both.

15 Likes

As an outsider, I’m unfamiliar with that seal.
But I have to ask, what’s with the little red noddy hat?

noddy

1 Like

It’s a Jacobin cap from the French Revolution, which ultimately goes back the the Phrygian Cap of antiquity

6 Likes