Minnesota is looking for a new state flag design and crowd-sourcing did not disappoint, resulting in some "absurd" and "ridiculous" designs

see also,

3 Likes

Nitpicking, but my understanding was that Cook County is Chicago plus some unincorporated territory that wouldn’t really be considered separate communities.

EDIT: I stand corrected below!

1 Like

Did anyone submit this? Missed opportunity if not

5 Likes

No, there’s a whole slew of dozens of cities, villiges and other municipalities besides Chicago in Cook County

7 Likes

F1598. Does no one here have any experience with MN?!?

F1598 - pg. 16, last row, middle (shorturl.at/nBEKQ)

1 Like

367b545b-6bdf-44db-a349-b4085bbb2e8a_text

6 Likes

Wow. Way too many of them, and so many are similar (loon, stars, same color scheme.)

The blue Canadian flag variant is a nice joke though.

5 Likes

All of us Soldiers are just huge Enid Blyton fans, that’s why

3 Likes

That makes sense to me. I mean, who isn’t?

1 Like

That is not the Tennessee flag. The stars in this image are symmetrical, whereas in the actual TN flag they are not:

Star arrangement

State law dictates exactly how the central emblem is to be displayed on the flag.

The arrangement of the three (3) stars shall be such that the centers of no two stars shall be in a line parallel to either the side or the end of the flag, but intermediate between the same; and the highest star shall be the one nearest the upper confined corner of the flag.

3 Likes

Krandelvachian Minnesota

Paredoilia Goodboi Hairgoop Did I Leave My Nowhere Running

Lakes Microbiology Sailing and Medical Care uh, Navy Pantsuit Justice

Black Flagg

Schvitzesota

Ownage (I dunno. Maybe First Google Lens Said Nothing?)

This Meme Is Blank

Tilings, Derps!

Plaidtuccia

Purplecat and Painted Unicorn Abide Thee, Gradeschoolers

9 Likes

i do like that tiling one. a little unfortunate maybe that it doesn’t… well… tile. and why so (dark) blue? there’s space to fill.

eta:

we love evry one. but not spelling. and why are we being forced to repeat second grade?

1 Like

That’s one of my faves! (even though I don’t fish). Love how they used the Northwest Angle for the top of the bobber.

I wouldn’t pick it for the state flag, of course, since, obvs, we don’t all fish.

(I see that @Flossaluzitarin picked it out, two posts above, but I’ll put it here so people know which one you/we mean.)

Also, welcome to the bbs!

10 Likes

That’s because Google Translate doesn’t do Dakota, especially when it’s in blackletter.

Mni Sóta Maḳoce
“Land where the water reflects the sky”

Mni Sóta means “clear blue water”, and is where the name “Minnesota” comes from.

9 Likes

That’s… not really a new thing.

Why not have flags for state and local governments?

4 Likes

What do you mean “now”?

Sussex

Wessex

Kent

Dorset

Devon

11 Likes

Chiming in with my city:

10 Likes

I assume that to be a hommage to the Laser Kiwi design that rose to fame during the similar NZ flag-changing debacle.

13 Likes

While beach-towels serve a third purpose again, which is why flags should not look like beach towels.

5 Likes
2 Likes