Misogynist UK tabloid attack on woman politician proving quite a distraction

Originally published at: Misogynist UK tabloid attack on woman politician proving quite a distraction | Boing Boing

5 Likes

The Daily Fail is trashy even by the low standards of UK newspapers.

The Mail (and its sunday counterpart) have a long history of casual, tacky fabrication

That in addition to its constant cheerleading for fascists and the stories that “All the Things Cause Cancer” designed to scare old people.

13 Likes
13 Likes

Plus “immigrants” - the other Daily Heil bandwagon for creating fear. (House prices come a distant third these days.) But basically, yes, anything to cause fear and alarm.

12 Likes

Dead cat is when politicians do it, typically.
Which is not to say it cannot be deployed by newspapers too.
Or that it cannot be deployed by newspapers at the behest of politicians.
It beggars belief that anyone in the Whips office thought this might distract from Partygate or assist the Tories in the local elections in a week or so. Seems like a rogue operator - but anything is possible these days.

6 Likes

Smut sells, or I should say still sells.

3 Likes

I always figured Boris Johnson to be more distracted by something like…say, Thomas the Tank Engine.

5 Likes
13 Likes

This is so ridiculous that the first thing I thought of when I heard it on the news was not Basic Instinct but the court scene from Serial Mom

2 Likes

it’s a bit like the Fox News cycle of:

1. opinion wing says something outrageous and slanderous
  2. evening news wing reports it as a “people are saying” piece
  3. profit!
4 Likes

Well…

And the comment of yesterday goes to David:

14 Likes

Harrumph.

1 Like
5 Likes

That one. And what’s worse is that the politicians don’t even have to ask.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.