Mississippi artist creates exhibit of "phallic" objects, bought at Walmart, to protest ridiculous statue of David debacle

Originally published at: Mississippi artist creates exhibit of "phallic" objects, bought at Walmart, to protest ridiculous statue of David debacle | Boing Boing

6 Likes

season 7 episode 23 GIF

8 Likes

Ballsy.

4 Likes

a sleek racing bicycle seat, a green plantain, a hammer, a toy baseball bat

Ban this sick filth!

7 Likes

The problem with this is that “phallic” is not quite “penis.” I feel this falls short of making the point I think they want it to. Nobody cares if a baseball bat looks kinda like an erect penis.

They care though if it’s an actual representation of a penis though, even flaccid.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

5 Likes

The modern version of Dadaism.

3 Likes

On a related note:

3 Likes

I wanted to see some Walmart penis but…

2 Likes

You can look at that tool all you want, but it doesn’t change the fact that Michigan is not currently suffering under the Tyranny of the Minority. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Let me help you with that paywall

2 Likes

It seems like he skipped over some obvious choices.

9 Likes

That’s an interesting site, it got me in to read the article but all the images are blocked.

I’d been wondering why Walmart’s logo was a golden butthole, but it’s starting to make sense now.

10 Likes
2 Likes

I just saw actual sex toys in my local Walmart yesterday. They were in between the Vagisil and the condoms, right at eye level of the average tween-age child.

And?

Are you implying that conversations with tween age children about vibrators are somehow more difficult than conversations with tween age children about vagisil or condoms?

I don’t see the problem.

5 Likes

A school made a big deal about children seeing a penis in art. Then an artist made a big deal about finding vaguely penis-shaped things in Walmart. I am just pointing out that my Walmart, and probably the one the artist shopped at, has much more “penis like” things in the “sexual health” area of the store – and no one cares. No one makes a big deal about children seeing condoms. No one is boycotting Walmart for selling vibrators that are clearly designed for vaginas and anuses, not muscle aches, in their stores and on their website. So why is the tiny penis on a giant marble statue such a big deal? That’s what I was trying to say.

3 Likes

Exactly- it doesn’t make any sense. And the exhibit doesn’t make any sense either, which is the point.
The artist could have displayed actual sex toys purchased at walmart. But then the curtains, the age restriction, then that might have actually made sense.

3 Likes

Clearly you missed all the Marjorie Taylor Greene’s freaking out and accusing Walmart and other stores of grooming kids by selling those things.

It was just a few weeks ago.

2 Likes

I read your comment as being of the “why won’t anyone think of the children” variety; apologies, and welcome to bOING bOING!

7 Likes