Mississippi state rep tells distraught mom to buy kid's lifesaving meds "with money she earns"

Meanwhile the rest of us in the Western world look on, scratching our heads.

35 Likes

“Are there no prisons?”
“Plenty of prisons…”
“And the Union workhouses.” demanded Scrooge. “Are they still in operation?”
“Both very busy, sir…”
“Those who are badly off must go there.”
“Many can’t go there; and many would rather die.”
“If they would rather die,” said Scrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”

Alternatively, what was that charming line from Ron Paul about “churches and bake sales” ? I can’t seem to find it.

27 Likes

Don’t worry, I’m sure we in the UK managed to shift considerably nearer to a similar situation thanks to last Thursday’s farrago…

18 Likes

Many of those same forces are international and coming for you too.

Look at all the persons congratulating how UK on their “newfound freedom”. They can’t wait to share so very much “freedom” with the rest of the world. And plenty of persons in your country, wherever it may lie are excited to vote in favor of whatever is promised to them.

Sorry :frowning:

13 Likes

It’s probably his kink.

Golly, what a god, Guns, and grits kinda guy.

2 Likes

That’s not what a big red bus I saw on TV told me :wink:

11 Likes

Close, he told the cheering crowd that society should let the uninsured man die. Maybe bake sales were mentioned by him or some other monster.

4 Likes

My country is Canada, and you’re not exactly wrong about those forces, but the difference, I think, is how healthcare is perceived. It is an ingrained part of the culture here that access to healthcare is a right, not a privilege. Not even our old Conservative government dared to be seen as going against this, and Bernie Sanders’ healthcare proposals would not have looked out of place in their platform.

21 Likes

State Rep. Jeffrey Guice [R-Ocean Springs]

We have an “TEAGOP asshole of the minute” award for you, Sir.

4 Likes

Such a good “Christian” he is…

18 Likes

Well, it turns out that it wasn’t a promise after all, as various Brexiters have been at pains to point out from Friday onward and we’ve plunged into the biggest political crisis for over 50 years thanks to the (to put it horribly bluntly) ignorance of the electorate, that paradoxically we’re now bound to follow regardless and disingenuous PR relying on exploitable, predictable human nature has got nothing to do with it, don’t we feel foolish, no massive ramifications though, and I’m sure our stoicism will sort it all out…

7 Likes

Asshole aside, there’s another issue here. There is no generic insulin. It’s my job to know, but I still don’t know why.

19 Likes

One Third of Privileged White Mississippians are Assholes, study concludes
FTFY

4 Likes

Excellent point! Apparently manufacturers use “new technology” to get around patents.

Tried to get at the source, but it’s paywalled.

8 Likes

“Suffer the little children… I mean, the little children should suffer.”

14 Likes

No, but you can qualify for health care and a lot of other nice benefits if you’re a state representative whose job it is to make sure taxpayer money isn’t being wasted.

14 Likes

Yea the NEJM doesn’t want to be read by riff-raff.

Damn. Just tried searching for that on my local library’s academic search. It comes up but the full text isn’t available.

The freaking NEJM isn’t considered important enough for Sno-Isle libraries to consider buying access.

That study better not have any government funding.

3 Likes

MY TAXES though. God hates them and collectivists!

3 Likes