Missouri church calls for "all young men" between 18–29 to "form a militia"— then apologizes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/28/missouri-church-calls-for-all-young-men-between-18-29-to-form-a-militia-then-apologizes.html

8 Likes

hbo GIF by Game of Thrones

14 Likes

12 Likes

oopsie, did we do a fascism in front of everyone

33 Likes

Tired: Discussion of whether the church should be tax exempt.
Wired: Discussion of whether the church is now a legitimate military target.
:person_shrugging:

Charitably, the church staff missed this, and it’s not that they’re fascist - they just have fascist parishioners. Who feel welcome and secure enough to have posted this. So not much of a defense, really.

25 Likes

The ad encouraged people to scan the QR code if they have experience in military, fitness instruction, Latin, business or medicine.

Latin? So they can come up with a motto like Semper Fidelis

7 Likes

Jamie Raskin published a really interesting lecture about how the Constitution actually DOES define what it means by term “Militia”, and how many groups hiding behind the term with regards to the 2nd Amendment are incredibly misguided.

16 Likes

Those poor oppressed Christians, needing to defend themselves here in the USA from… uh… from what, exactly?

22 Likes

… mockery :crazy_face:

21 Likes

monty python i fart in your general direction GIF
ETA:
i post this, not to make light of the Xtiofascist movement nor the very serious implications of it. merely seconding what @smulder said , that mockery is what they most can not handle.
so, i wanted to and a little mockery of my own.

16 Likes

Prandium Quadrigis VI
Lacinia Pro Libertate

2 Likes

I suspect the answer is in their name

I suspect these lot barely tolerate Vatican II, and only accept it that much so they aren’t excommunicated.

11 Likes
6 Likes

I’m getting more of a Deus Vult vibe from these guys.

9 Likes

No one created the ad? So it was an immaculate adception?

25 Likes

well, see. it’s just that they’d rather you call it a “holy army.” militia has all these negative connotations. :cat:

7 Likes

I take a tiny bit of comfort in the thought that when us godless libs are locked up in the work camps, we can at least enjoy the spectacle of what happens after the reactionary Catholics and evangelical Protestants start giving each other the hairy eyeball.

5 Likes

The Holy AI works in mysterious ways.

7 Likes

rh-Yg3

13 Likes

Good point - but man, it’s just an odd prerequisite in light of everything else.

2 Likes