Missouri House of Representatives sets new budget for public libraries to $0

Originally published at: Missouri House of Representatives sets new budget for public libraries to $0 | Boing Boing

6 Likes

breaking bad bullshit GIF

But maybe people will start to see that the modern GOP is ONLY interested in burning shit down if they can’t get their white Christo-fascist state via electoral politics.

34 Likes

keep 'em stupid, keep 'em scared. There are even folks who are willing to assert that perhaps the republicans’ inability to summon more than the @#$ ‘thoughts and prayers’ over the mass murders of children at public schools is because: the republicans don’t want to fund public institutions at all, but particularly those which might leave their electorate a bit more savvy. -sigh- (“Hey, stupid voters and gun lobby money - ka’ching!”)

24 Likes

It’s actually “Hey, ignorant, uneducated voters and gun lobby money - ka’ching!” These people aren’t stupid; they’ve not been equipped with the critical thinking tools and education that let them see these Republican scams, fearmongering and outright lies for what they are.

11 Likes

26 Likes
14 Likes

well, if you consider a check of a birth certificate as a background check … we’re pretty much there

13 Likes

your point is excellent! but that ‘stupid’ remark was meant to be in the voice of a stupid republican political operative. (“Always risky quoting the opposing voices in the comment section, ain’t it?”)

6 Likes

“Childishly irresponsible snowflake” seems to be the new GOP brand…

8 Likes

Christ, what assholes. But this jumped out at me:

defined explicit sexual material as images “showing human masturbation, deviate sexual intercourse,” “sexual intercourse, direct physical stimulation of genitals, sadomasochistic abuse,” or showing human genitals [emphasis mine]

FFS, those are pretty radically different things - medical texts, art books, books that just have art in them are going to “show human genitals,” without it being sexually explicit. There’s a world of difference between “here’s a naked person” and “here’s some sex.” It’s the weirdest kind of Puritanism, that doesn’t even allow for scientific nudity.

25 Likes

They’re still pissed off about Michelangelo’s David.

14 Likes

Science? Art? What makes you think the GOP wants people to know about those topics?

15 Likes

I mean, I know they don’t, though paradoxically they’d still like to have doctors. Granted, doctors who give them quack cures for covid… so yeah, I guess it all works out.

10 Likes

I was talking to a friend I hadn’t seen in awhile and mentioned that I was on my local library board. He said that sounded like stepping right into the maelstrom. Well, better to be in the maelstrom than to let *#!+@s like that who are intent on creating hate-filled, neo-fascist, Christian nationalist dystopias have their way. Fortunately, my library hasn’t had to deal with much of that yet. I am also glad to say that we have an outstanding executive director and the rest of the board are staunch defenders of library rights and its mission to serve the entire community.

10 Likes

Glad I moved out of that state last year. It’s getting worse and worse. I hope Kansas doesn’t get too many bright ideas. :confused:

4 Likes

The horror!

They had to put the word ‘human’ in there,or put every flower shop in Missouri out of business.
And what would they do about this:
ETA:

You are probably safe in that regard. Unless the Legislature is in session, of course.

3 Likes

How does any member of the Missouri House of Representatives who voted for this budget expect to get re-elected? Public libraries are the one guaranteed source of “free” popular entertainment anywhere in the US.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.