MIT students create and circulate open source, covert RFID rings to subvert campus tracking system

It’s an access control system. It limits access to buildings to only the people that are authorized to access them. It’s a side effect that you can track someone’s whereabouts by logging which door they were at when they swiped for access.

3 Likes

I got a ring tattoo, often I will have someone in the shop stop me to take a second look at it.

Now that she is gone, I’m wondering to either modify the tattoo to represent experience and change, or just take the whole finger off and mail it to her. Now the tough question- which tool to use?

8 Likes

You are familiar with the term, ‘Coyote Ugly’ ? Coyotes, if they get a paw caught in a trap, will chew off their paw to escape.* A drunken hook-up is someone who is SO ugly**, that when you wake up and see them asleep on your arm, you chew off your own arm to escape.

*I’ve never known any creep who trapped animals, so it falls under the category of ‘Rural Legend’

** It always begs the question, "If they were so ugly, why did you F#@% them?

2 Likes

You could extend the tattoo to look like the spiral of a giant screw…flathead or Phillips?

3 Likes

College educator here-

I agree with muser’s assessment and wish to add that in all likelihood there’s a security argument behind it.
These are scary times on college campuses- I had two gun scares in one year when I was teaching at a state-run university, especially after CO passed conceal carry on campus laws. A lot of things are being employed behind the scenes to do something about the active shooter issues. This sounds like one of those to me.

I’m not saying it’s effective. I do understand where it’s coming from. Fear.

3 Likes

Fear, the eternal enemy of Liberty.

10 Likes

Honestly that’s not a terrible idea to do the ‘good ring / cheap ring’ thing. I could get a pack of those silicone men’s rings from amazon that aren’t half bad looking and then have the good one to wear out. I’ll ask her about that and if she’s cool with it.

1 Like

Silicone men’s rings? I had no idea! Those really would be disposable! You could keep a whole baggie of them in the glove compartment!

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Wedding-ROQ-Affordable-Rubber/dp/B06Y28544Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1523473175&sr=8-4&keywords=silicone+wedding+ring&dpID=41GL4KK8H3L&preST=SY300_QL70&dpSrc=srch yeah something like that. Buy 'em in bulk. You can even get nicer ones that are gold colored.

1 Like

Yeah, those don’t look bad at all! I’m partial to either the silvery one or the ‘Hunter’s Orange’…

I’d get a good look at the ‘gold color’…what if it looks like a boogie?

Eh, there’s nicer ones too. https://ensorings.com/silicone-rings/ They seem to be finished with a metallic sheen, probably wouldn’t look super out of place.

1 Like

Hell, show them around at work, and you guys can probably get them in wholesale quantities/prices.

They are worried that a janitor is secretly auditing classes and solving almost unsolvable math problems on notice boards.

(Likely along with other more dangerous sounding movie plot threats.)

20 Likes

What’s wrong with keys? Also, why the need to control access? What’s the point? Is some unauthorized person going to read a book? Are they going to buy a lunch they should not. Perhaps they may even have a conversation in an unauthorized location. I know… terrifying thoughts.

That’s been said for decades now and it doesn’t hold up well to scrutiny. Crime is way down. Campus violence is far less than it was 40 years ago. Perhaps nurturing a theater of fear is useful for selling institutions access control systems but does little to encourage a healthy world view.

13 Likes

Keyring 2.0

But why? To confuse / confound?

Strangely, I feel no need to subvert the RFID tags on my library books.

2 Likes

I wasn’t advocating for that kind of control, I was pointing out its reasoning.

I personally would like gun control, not access control.

Edit to add: a campus like MIT would have a lot of expensive equipment.
Medical campuses like mine may have HIPAA controlled tissues and bodies.
Students have to pay fees to get these things, so it is reasonable to make sure only they have access to them.

1 Like

All women are beautiful when viewed through beer goggles.

1 Like

What’s wrong with keys? Also, why the need to control access? What’s the point?

I think you are just playing devil’s advocate when you say that, but just in case you are really asking, there are lots of reasons you want to keep random people out of dormitories, laboratories and school buildings. I wish it weren’t so, but college campuses, while they do tend to be more open and welcoming than most institutions, are not immune from theft, vandalism, crime, harassment, etc. And on a college campus, the consequences of the rare criminal act can actually be much higher than in other environments.

Laboratories have very expensive equipment that can be stolen. They can have chemicals and materials that are rare and dangerous if mishandled. Students and professors are doing experiments that can easily be disrupted or destroyed.

And students need to feel secure in their dorms. When I was in college, I remember incidents of people from off campus wandering into dormitories and stealing from dorm rooms. Back then the common security technology was keys, but keys are not the best technology anymore for managing access, because they are too easily duplicated, stolen, etc, and it isn’t practical to constantly change locks or redistribute keys when you want to revoke access, or when a class graduates, or a lab changes purpose, or a different class is using it.

Occasionally, I go back to visit my old dorm, and I am disappointed that I can’t just walk in and introduce myself like I could years ago, but I understand the need for security. It was weak then, and while there were advantages to that for honest people, there were serious undesirable consequences when less then honest actors were involved.

8 Likes