MIT students create and circulate open source, covert RFID rings to subvert campus tracking system

Dude, you’re a woodworker. Just chuck something nice (and not skin irritant) in the lathe and make yourself a ring that will be acceptable to your wife. If you pick a reasonably weak wood (or design something to be a more breakable composite) you don’t have to worry about degloving injuries.

I’m a metalworker, so same problem, but well… that’s not a solution for me. Luckily the wife could care less if I don’t wear jewelry (maybe she’d fully confident that nobody else could deal with me).

4 Likes

Don’t flame until you see it…Jase, of Duck Dynasty, shops for a replacement band with his wife, and explains why it’s completely unnecessary with him.

Jase loses wedding band

The most amusing part is the belief that no students have entirely bypassed that system and have unfettered access to anywhere they please.

4 Likes

I wanted a titanium wedding band, but since you can’t resize them the wife nixed that. We compromised at a traditional platinum band that is the genuine one, and she purchased my a Ti one for our 1 year anniversary as my everyday wear.

2 Likes

So this. Wedding bands are prohibited for technicians for this exact reason. A few years ago someone lost their finger while flipping a piece of cut plate steel. Even though he had gloves on, it caught the band and his finger with it.

2 Likes

Dude, have you ever been in a relationship?

3 Likes

Once, long ago, at Caltech, the local authorities became concerned that drunken students were going up on the roof of Millikan Library, from where they were concerned that they might fall off (no guard rails). So they installed a high-security door with a Medeco lock (especially hard to pick). Very soon after, the entire door was removed in the night and deposited in front of the campus security office.

7 Likes

Cheap disposable ones.

Just kidding. Neither my mate nor I are into such things, but these practical ideas for symbolic problems are really funny

I thought this was about to get really sad and sentimental.

1 Like

Should’ve installed guard rails.

2 Likes

Wait, which one of these rough and tough accented swamp guys is he?

2 Likes

Holy shit, dude! That is fucked up.

2 Likes

There are a few “smart rings” out there but they are more wearables like a watch rather than jewelry with a built-in keyfinder which is more what I think you are looking for. Great idea though, as long as it wasn’t immediately abused.

Divorce has given me a huge amount of material to launch my stand up career.

2 Likes

How would I have a spouse to get rid of, if I’d never had a relationship?

Also - I’m not a dude.

1 Like

I think he’s the one on the right, because the other of the three episodes I’ve seen, they were teasing him about being shorter than the other brothers.

High use secured entry via mechanical key wears out the cylinder and is slower than using EAC (Electronic Access Control). Unauthorized people include low level career thieves, sexual predators etc. This is a concern in education, healthcare and similar environments.
You mentioned buying lunch; if the unauthorized person buys subsidized meals, it costs the organization money - it’s a form of fraud the person’s committing. The $$ loss amounts can be substantial.

1 Like

I’ll give you 10-1 odds that they never look to match the student to the ID photo unless the student is really attractive.

2 Likes

wow it’s like get into MIT for free! … kinda … in a way, till they throw you out.

1 Like

I just scrolled over parts of this thread, and somehow my brain didn’t properly process the except part, in combination with your coyote ugly reference and went into overdrive, too.
The unpleasant one.

Mordor Institute of Technology, indeed, my precious.

We will never harm the precious, we swear it!

1 Like

@muser, @Rives and others:
I’m based in Europe. In Germany, but also several other countries I visited during my academic “career” (:cough:), most students and staff have RFID cards or dongles. They mostly use it for services. Lab doors are the only security reason I ever came across I could possibly think of as a valid reason for actually using them, and keys did just fine for ages.

All the rest is bullshit.
Payment? Queues in front of vending machines for topping up. Dorms? Keys, and bloody bell doors. Library? Well, we already HAD barcode scanners, you know, but they thought self-checkout / check-in was a “bad idea” at the time. Xerox machines? Same-same, we had some accepting cards, coins, whatever. Hell, when I first set my foot in a university, the one in the office used to be “on the house”, i.e. the chair’s budget. And this wasn’t really a problem.

If you ask me, there was a solution in search of a problem, and it found one. Not that it is a bad one, the tech is solid and it’s unifying so many services and is so flexible that it is useful.
But it comes at a price.

And we paid this price before, in at least two dictatorship.