Mitch McConnell voted against interracial marriage, despite the fact that he's married to an Asian woman

Ice Cube Friday GIF by HBO Max

16 Likes

Mitch identifies as North Korean.

1 Like

While he is currently married to a white woman, he has a history of opposition as well. Clarence Thomas’s Radical Vision of Race | The New Yorker

8 Likes

something something “honorary whites” :grimacing:

7 Likes

Can we just not?

First of all, Elaine Chao was born in Taiwan, not Korea, and all Asian people are not the same. Second, the “X identifies as Y” line is a tired joke that the Babylon Bee pulls out every time they want to make fun of LGBTQ+ people.

21 Likes

People who are against interracial marriage often just have one or two specific races in mind.

7 Likes

Excuse me, I am too European to understand maybe, but I keep seeing these headlines everywhere and I scan articles and still fail to understand - is there even a tiny thread of possibility that interracial marriages may be illegal in the US? Like what the actual f**k?
I know you may have bigger problems on your hands like people actually getting shot on the street for no reasons by armed militias you people insist on calling a “police” but interracial marriages?! How can this phrase even be used?! Do you have “race” in your documents somewhere?
What a hellscape of a country…

6 Likes

The short answer is that interracial marriage was illegal until 55 years ago in many US States (because states are largely able to make their own laws about these things in the absence of national law).

The 1967 Supreme Court case of Loving v. Virginia ruled that laws banning interracial marriage were unconstitutional. However, the court can change its mind and undo past decisions. If the court does that, then interracial marriage will need to be protected by a national law. Otherwise, it will be up to the states to decide, and some states still have those old laws. That is why the subject is now being discussed.

18 Likes

Thank you. Still unbelievable, but at least on factual level I see what is happening.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Yes, actually, there is. They were illegal up until the Loving V. VA decision.

And I’ll remind you that the US is not the only place to have retrograde, racist laws that have only recently been changed. Germany had Nazi era citizenship laws on the books until 1999/2000, when they finally adopted a form of “birth right” citizenship (which we’ve had since the mid-19th century. The entire western world is awash in bullshit racism and colonialism. It’s not just us.

15 Likes

It seems difficult to imagine, but when Obama was born, his parent’s marriage was illegal in many states, and they could have gone to jail if they spent a night together in the same room in those states.

10 Likes

Perhaps he just hasn’t noticed yet.

5 Likes

Racism in many forms, legacy of colonialism yes, of course. But I can’t imagine anyone discussing with straight face a possibility of legal ban of interracial marriages. And I come from Eastern Europe, except for Hungary probably the most backwards part of the continent :wink:

4 Likes

Yes, I know those things changed very recently, but I would expect that this kind of poster racist things would become a taboo by 2022.

3 Likes
11 Likes

Russia elevated Whataboutism to the authoritarian favourite it is today.

13 Likes

Yes. You cannot say a LINE about A because B exists… It is tiresome. We saw It in Brazil during the last presidential election and It is being used nowadays.

11 Likes

Oh Thomas is absolutely on board and has said as much right after Roe was overturned.

5 Likes

And neither could many of us until recently. This shit can change on a dime, and given that far right parties are making REAL gains across Europe, too (Le Penn’s party in France, Brexit in the UK, etc), you should be just as concerned about what’s happening there… This is a “western civilization” problem. None of us have every really fully come to terms with our colonial/racist legacies (Germany, being a possible exception for how they’ve come to understand the Holocaust), so I’m not sure that any of us have a leg to stand on…

yoga-hosers-very-def

Um… yeah, okay. Kind of my point. Believing that Eastern Europeans are more “backwards” than the rest of Europe is a great example of not having dealt with your own legacies of bigotry.

It is until people in power embrace it as a means of attaining power. As long as white, euro-centric supremacy continues to be unexamined and in place, it will continue to plague us. You can point your fingers at others and ignore the problems in your own house all you want, but it really takes all of us working on this problem to solve it…

17 Likes