Miya Ponsetto, who falsely accused a Black teen for stealing her phone, charged with hate crime

Originally published at: Miya Ponsetto, who falsely accused a Black teen for stealing her phone, charged with hate crime | Boing Boing

8 Likes

images-1

12 Likes

29 Likes

You don’t have to be white to be a racist jackwagon.

I mean, it helps, but it’s not compulsory.

23 Likes

be sure to save that image for later

Her next court date is scheduled for October 20.

4 Likes

Has she been charged with assaulting a child as well?

Because grabbing and attempting to detain a random kid certainly seems like assault…

9 Likes

From an NBC news report; just one example re PR and racism.

Racism and colorism — a form of prejudice from members of the same race treating people differently based on skin color — doesn’t begin and end in Puerto Rico. “Often Puerto Ricans who assert our Blackness are outcast by Latinos who identify more with their Spanish Conqueror than their African ancestors,” she added.

7 Likes

I hope her attorney also counseled her against wearing that Daddy hat during the TV interview. WTF was that about?

6 Likes

Grumpy good

8 Likes

IIRC from what I read in an article back when this first happened, they did; she just didn’t listen.

Bodes well for her sentencing, doesn’t it?

9 Likes

Indeed.

6 Likes

I get that she suddenly discovered that her phone was missing, saw someone walking by holding the same phone and stupid behavior ensued. If it stopped there and was immediately followed by heartfelt contrition, she could have gone back to living a fairly normal life. Instead, everything she did after that served to maximize the blowback. What is it that people are no longer learning about living in a civilized society?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.