#Mizzou: Students force University of Missouri president to resign over lack of action on racism on campus

Cite:

Endowment, June 30, 2015

$822.7 million

Oh no! What will they do?!? So poors! Much poverty!

Also, given that the fine is likely leveraged via the fuckheads at the NCAA, I expect an appeal of the fine can and will be successfully made.

I read his statement above, “Please, please use my resignation to heal, not to hate,” and I immediately wondered why the protesters would use his resignation to hate. Beyond that, he’s not poor and if anything, he could use this episode to become a champion of the movement. Gee wouldn’t that be a thing?

2 Likes

It really would be incredible, given the cluelessness he displays in the speech to what protesters have been protesting about. He’s upset that “things have gotten this far,” that is, this contentious; he’s clearly not upset about the racism faced daily by students, faculty, and staff. I think it’s fantastic that collective protest got this sack of bible-clutching privilege to resign. (Not that I think you disagree.)

3 Likes

Anyone else here standing with the MU student activists and against the Yale ones?

I get the impression that the former are trying to win an important battle–ridding their institution of people who don’t take racism seriously–while the latter have already won that battle, and have gone a bit overboard in trying to oppose any remaining dissenters.

But maybe others have followed these more closely than I have, or just have a different opinion?

Frederick v Morse involved a high school rather than a university. The courts have historically treated university students differently than high school students, and Morse continued the trend to grant HS students fewer free speech rights.

I agree completely, and frankly I was taking a cue from a story you (or…@Missy_Pants?) alerted me to:

I expect that the now-resigned Mr. Wolfe is upset about what’s occurred because nobody likes quitting or being fired or any mixture therein, but holy fucken shit up a redwood tree it would be phenomenal if he came out in support of BLM or associated movements. He is, after all, an educator, and who better to learn from mistakes past and adapt accordingly?

1 Like

Ummm . . no.

He lost the confidence of the Board. Without that, he’d still be there.

What students think and do only matters insofar as the Board thinks it will affect fundraising which, in the end, is the only job of a college president.

1 Like

Universities are not, as far as I know, considered in loco parentis which removes the justification in the case of a high school.

Not that it’s that relevant, but I think “bong hits 4 jesus” is exactly the kind of political speech we need to protect, and I hear far more far-fetched and fucked-up things about what jesus wants on a weekly basis.

3 Likes

Good point.

From what I’ve read, it sounds like public universities have to scope their rules against racist speech pretty tightly.

And it does raise the question of exactly what the president was supposed to have done about the cited incidents.

Ban pickup trucks and cotton balls? Possible I guess, but would require a lot more campus security than I imagine is now available.

Ban anonymous tweets? Doesn’t sound technically feasible.

Ban feces? Hmmm, I can see a money making opportunity here for the restaurants that adjoin the campus.

But all snark aside, I am wondering just what forms of racial healing are now made possible by the president’s exit.

1 Like

Amen.

Let’s contrast Tim Wolfe’s remarks, as president and chancellor for the 2.1 BILLION dollar a year U of Missouri system, with those of Peter Slavin made the day before, as CEO of Massachusetts General Hospital, of around 4 BILLION in operating budget.

It’s a seven page speech, but it doesn’t take more than a page for Slavin to say Freddie Gray’s name.

I bring this history up because I believe there’s never been a more important time than now to
remember our founding obligation to address crises that threaten the health and safety of our
communities.

Seven months ago, a 25-year-old Baltimore resident named Freddie Gray suffered a serious
spinal cord injury while being arrested. His pleas for medical attention were ignored, and a week
later he died. The next month saw the worst riots in Baltimore since Martin Luther King’s
assassination in 1968.

Over the past year, similar tragedies and unrest from Ferguson, Missouri, to Staten Island, New
York, have forced our country to confront profound issues of race, justice, and inequality. We
have all seen this drama play out on the streets and on television, among activists, police officers,
and politicians. But today, I’d like to argue that issues of racial bias and racial disparities should
also be discussed and addressed by doctors, nurses, and medical students, in medical schools and
teaching hospitals.

tl:dr Tim Wolfe wasn’t leading his students anywhere. He was defending the old entrenched way. It’s not very hard to find successful white male counter-examples that prove how out-of-touch Wolfe truly was.

11 Likes

Oh, okay.

When I started to read the header article, I expected to find something about racist violence or intimidation on campus that had been excused by president Wolfe. Frankly didn’t find much in that line.

I didn’t realize that this was about his failing to give a speech condemning the police of a city a thousand miles away. Nowhere did the article mention that.

1 Like

The real reason he finally quit is because the football team (and its head coach) got involved and announced they would not practice or play this weekend unless he quit. That would subject the school to millions in NCAA fines as well as the loss of any tv money if the game was televised.

If it hadn’t been for that move by the team, the asshole would probably still be there. It’s great that he’s finally stepped-down, but kind of sad that the only thing (apparently) that mattered was the potential loss of sports revenue.

If anything, that African American protesters have agency and voice, and that people are actually listening. Because, you know, African American protesters have fared so well in the past.

Are you member of the Mizzou board of regents? THEN HOW DO YOU KNOW? Oh, wait, you don’t-you’re just spinning counterfactuals to lessen the impact that actually occurred. But hey, we can all play that game, and it’s fun!

If it hadn’t been for that time I grabbed the soymilk for my coffee instead of the 2% I normally use, Bin Laden would still be alive! Wow, so lucky.

2 Likes
If there is no struggle there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, and it may be both moral and physical, but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.

Attribution: Frederick Douglass, “West India Emancipation,” speech delivered at Canandaigua, New York, August 4, 1857.—The Life and Writings of Frederick Douglass, ed. Philip S. Foner, vol. 2, p. 437 (1950).

4 Likes

Some of the incidents were beyond his control. The racial insults from the pickup truck happened off campus. The swastika incident appears to be mythology, as the student who filed the report never actually saw it, and photos of it were old images taken from the internet. I suppose the President should have made some symbolic actions, even though they might have not helped in any way. I suspect that a Black university President will be needed to solve the issues there. Much of it seems to be rumor or exaggeration, like the student President’s announcement yesterday that the Klan was marching on campus. Anything a White administrator says or does will just be seen as more racism.

1 Like

I think you’re quite wrong about that. This is why I said he couldn’t address racism. It’s not easy, especially for a middle-aged white guy like me - but it’s not impossible.

I see you’ve got the talking points memorized. Good soldier!

3 Likes

Talking points? I guess that would make me a paid shill by someone. I am not sure who.
And in today’s news, the “we need more muscle to eject this student reporter” professor is still teaching, but the “don’t give in to bullies” professor has been purged. His criminal statements are below. I wonder who will be next.
“If you don’t feel safe coming to class, then don’t come to class,” Dr.
Brigham told his students. “I will be there, and there will be an exam
administered in our class,” he continued, imploring his students to
stand up to the bullies on campus. “If you give into bullies, they win.
The only way bullies are defeated is by standing up to them.”

1 Like

What he could do is institute a “Cultural Competency” course-requirement for all students, lots of schools have this. Also, this isn’t new, there have been various racial incidents throughout his tenure and he has manifested no real action other than rote apologies.

2 Likes

Someone made a poop swastika in a dorm.

1 Like