Mom asks if 10-year-old's first composition can be played, then musicians around the world give their take

In one video, she says that the “Keep Classical Weird” version is her favorite and most closely aligned with her vision.

8 Likes

Lots of Tchaikovsky in this work. Many low notes, slow tempo, some sadness.

I hope she continues writing music; this is brilliant.

1 Like

There’s a bit of bah-humbug in this response. I’m as curmudgeonly and cynical as the next person, but I liked this.

We look at Mozart with awe today, but was there a person in Vienna who scoffed at a five-year-old’s composition and said: meh?

4 Likes

Oblig:
amadeus-too

When in the past I have had the privilege of hearing early versions of songs when a band is developing them they are…not good. Especially if it is just one person strumming out the basic framework, or plunking something out on a keyboard. Then as other people get involved it starts to become something, and at some point it’s great. Collaboration in popular music (between band members, producers, arrangers) is par for the course - I assume it is even more of a thing in classical when you make the band 60 people and add a conductor!

This music has good bones. She’s ten. No one succeeds alone

14 Likes

I admit to not being aware of this meme.

2 Likes

Oh, Amadeus is definitely worth seeing then. It’s a treat!

5 Likes

Agreed. I like the arranged composition. Maybe she’ll follow it; maybe not. It was still good.

2 Likes

(or studio version, which I will admit to being into when I was a kid and someone gave me this LP as a gift.)

2 Likes

I love nothing more than a bodacious dude with a rockin’ mullet and no sleeves talking music theory and practice in depth. This is awesome!

(None of the above is meant ironically or as a joke - more in a “books and their covers” way. He’s great, and I sincerely love it)

2 Likes

Reminds me of some James Horner composittions.

Cloud Atlas is highly underrated. Most people are scared away by its length, pacing and complexity, not to mention it can get really dark, but the ultimate message about love’s transcendent value to the human condition is powerfully profound.

3 Likes

Hi Sophia! Welcome to the BBS!

Welcome!

I agree that Cloud Atlas was underrated. While I found it to be something of a mess (with widely uneven sections), it was a beautiful, interesting and ambitious mess. While I didn’t love it originally in the theatre, I found that upon a second viewing a copuple of years ago, it held up far better than I remembered.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.