Mom pretending to be 13-year-old student at daughter's middle school arrested

Having never lived in Texas I have no idea what local laws or regulations are applied to schools there, can you fill us in on what law was violated?

3 Likes

Teen pregnancies in the US are down 70% in the last 30 years.

9 Likes

Is it worth listenting to these videos - or is the post enough to know what is going on.

I feel for the 13 year old. It is embarrassing enough when your parents were randomly at school. Sneaking in and posing as a middle-schooler? “Kill me now!”

2 Likes

Here are some longer articles than the one listed above, showing more of what was her thought process. As I said, misguided – I’m not trying to say she did something admirable – but schools do have a Duty of Care to protect their students, and the fact that no one, from the principal on down to every one of the 7 teachers whose classes she was in that day, recognized that she didn’t belong in the school is an issue. I don’t have the specific Texas statutes to reference, but you must know that there are, in fact, laws and regulations that schools must follow. They weren’t following them.

“We need better security at our schools. This is what I tried to prove,” Garcia said in a follow-up video. “I didn’t do this to get views. I didn’t do this to get likes. I didn’t do this so people could be mad at me and I can never walk around El Paso again.”

“The teachers were so preoccupied about the students who were online that they weren’t paying attention to the students who were there physically,” Garcia said. “I think the deal breaker for me was actually walking in and posing as a seventh grader. I mean, I’m no spring chicken, but it wasn’t hard.”

Garcia said she made it through all seven periods, until the last teacher asked her to stay after class and confronted her.

“I was ‘hey, put your phone away.’ I was not a name, I was not a person, I was ‘hey put your phone away’,” Garcia said. “It was for a social experiment. I wanted to see if I could make it the entire day without anybody noticing. I’d say up until seventh period is a very long day for a 30-year-old.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/a-texas-woman-was-arrested-after-posing-as-her-13-year-old-daughter-for-a-day-of-a-middle-school/ar-AAKLzlm

Garcia said she’d come into contact with the principal, several faculty members, and security guards at the front of the school when she entered at the beginning of the day. She said that no one, including almost all the teachers in the classes she attended, realized she wasn’t her daughter.

She said that before she got caught at the end of the day, the only trouble she’d gotten into was for having her phone out.

“The school was so concerned that my phone was out that they weren’t even paying attention to who I was,” she said.

Garcia said her intention was to keep the name of the school out of her story.

“This is about our children and the safety of our children,” she said. “That’s all I’m trying to do is prevent another mass shooting.”

5 Likes

Mom: “Christ, I’m an asshole.”

3 Likes

8 Likes

I wanna hear the howls of “privacy violation” when the badges are issued to the kids

You really can’t have it both ways

4 Likes

She posed as her daughter, falsifying the attendance record.
So they may be charge stuffing, or whatever it’s actually called, but it sounds like a legit charge based on what she did.

4 Likes

Yes.

2 Likes

What I was asking with my—admittedly elliptical—question was what you meant by that. The article doesn’t mention the school breaking the law.

ETA: I see you answered above. I think that’s a bit of a reach, though.

3 Likes

Watched that again about a week ago. I still enjoyed it and I am willing to overlook the age creepiness of him and the high school student since he never even kisses her.

Don’t know why people are hung up on whether she broke the law or not, it’s missing the forest for some very, very tiny trees. The forest is that she went almost a whole day before someone noticed. Regardless of The Law, she didn’t do anything wrong, really. As far as we know she wasn’t there to creep on kids or sell them drugs or shoot them or whatnot. Weird? Maybe, but not morally wrong.

3 Likes

Some brains lack guardrails and stop signs.

3 Likes

So she proved that two people who presumably look alike can be confused for each other when they are wearing a hoodie, mask, and glasses? That isn’t news to anyone.

12 Likes

Yeah - at best this is a case of irresponsible disclosure (nice to see a good up-to-date no computer example) and at worst she’s lying about that and had other things (social media prank?) in mind.

Either way - they have to prosecute or every asshat with a reason to want to sneak into a school is going to use ‘testing the security’ as an excuse from now until the end of never.

7 Likes

But what is this supposed to show us? Schools are not (supposed to be) prisons. Does it really surprise anyone that a 30 year old wearing a hoodie, glasses, and face mask in a school where probably different subsets of kids are there every day, and doesn’t do anything to cause trouble or call attention to herself can be unnoticed for a while? I’m not, and I don’t really see a problem here except for her.

Instead, she seems to be trying to push a stupid agenda on COVID. The idea that her actions are going to prevent a school shooting is just stupid nonsense at best, but is mostly likely intentional gaslighting.

5 Likes

We already hand them out (also known as “Student Body Cards”) so they can claim the student discounts from around town.

Perhaps the next step is to include a pouch and lanyard with them (so they look like the faculty and staff, with a distinctive coloring separate from the wage/salary collecting grownups.)

2 Likes

I’m not defending what she did. I think it was stupid.

But she’s not wrong: the fact that someone could do that and no one would notice is troubling, in a country where school shootings are ‘normal’.

I wasn’t allowed to enter my children’s schools (they’re now grown) without providing a photo ID which was checked against the computer system.

And the fact that none of the teachers noticed? That was the most troubling part, for me.

4 Likes

Honestly, I think this is law enforcement overreach. I feel like spending a day in high school is its own punishment.

Aren’t there real, actual problems the police could potentially be dealing with? Is the nature of the traffic warrant something that requires that someone be detained and held?

Post-facto justifications abound.

I want to see some proof that this was pre-meditated with noble indent.

Based on the available information this appears to be a selfish publicity stunt, nothing more.

2 Likes