Moms for Liberty call cops on school librarian after 17-year-old checks out a YA novel (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2023/11/07/moms-for-liberty-call-cops-on-school-librarian-after-17-year-old-checks-out-a-ya-novel-video.html

6 Likes

Reminder that 17-year-olds can legally marry in Florida.

31 Likes

This group has quickly established itself as one of the more dangerous vehicles for introducing fascism into American civic life. If one of them is running for a local school board, make sure someone reasonable is running against them.

30 Likes

Judge Judy No GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

15 Likes

A prescient comic book.

13 Likes

Do either of them have a kid attending that school?

From other reports, they’re smurfing email and phone call complaints across the country from just a few people.

31 Likes

That’s a great graphic novel!

6 Likes

These fucking pearl clutchers. I know girls in HS who read those romance novels you saw at the grocery store. Hell, my aunt gave me this fiction book about ghosts, (I have no idea why, I guess I liked weird stuff), and it had a sex scene in it. So did Majestic, the alien novel. These weren’t “YA” fiction, but they were available.

So, like, chill out people. Jesus Christ.

12 Likes

Nothing I can say here that won’t get me banned.

8 Likes

I would like to report someone for making a false police report.

18 Likes

So concerned about how other kids are being parented. I bet she’d react with grateful appreciation if someone pointed out how she’s negatively impacting her child’s wellbeing by feeding them junk food.

7 Likes

They seem to say “No, you can’t.” an awful lot for Moms for “Liberty”.

19 Likes

Like the United Daughters of the Confederacy helped promote revisionism while pretending to just be interested in “preserving traditions”.

10 Likes

At least their org’s name was an accurate representation of their bigotwdl mission. This current bunch are certainly not for liberty and have a lot of members who, by their own narrow definition, aren’t moms.

16 Likes

It’s because they want the liberty to stop other people doing things, not the liberty to do things themselves.

Dads for Gilead was probably a bit too obvious for plausible deniability.

22 Likes

Should be Moms for Stop That!.

12 Likes

Moms for fascism is more apt.

21 Likes

Perhaps, but not as funny.

( I know there’s nothing remotely humourous about Moms for Liberty but humour can be a weapon. :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

Yeah, none of this has been particularly funny, actually. Turns out watching your country slowly descend into fascism isn’t the mirthful experience that we were all told it would be… I blame Charlie Chaplin and Mel Brooks… /SSSSS

15 Likes

“I’m getting all verklempt here, discuss amongst yourselves. I’ll give you a topic: ‘Moms for Liberty’ are not for liberty nor are they, meaningfully, moms. Discuss”
mike myers snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

10 Likes