Money laundering arcade game

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Ooooh, and look, INSTRUCTIONS!.

It left out the part where you’re elected to the US Senate. Do pinball machines have sequels?

1 Like

This passage from In Praise of Coin-Operated Machines has generated some discussion on a gen-art (text) mailing list I’m on:

From a general artistic perspective, the idea of people paying to be entertained rather than to own ‘art’ is appealing. It is much less elitist - accessible to many more people – and avoids any need to play the bizarre fine art game (using the right language and impressing the right people). A coin operated machine can have just as much grace and subtlety as any conventional art, but the volume of the laughter it provokes and weight of the coins it takes are satisfying simple measures of its success. The difficult idea of artistic value (often a subject of great angst) doesn’t have to be so important.

The final attraction is that compared to the whims of the fine art world or the labyrinthine public funding of museums, the cash is satisfyingly real. The weight of a bag full of coins is more satisfying than any cheque.

NB: image is mine (-ish), not Hunkin’s.

His other site - http://www.timhunkin.com/ - is well worth checking out. I get the two of them confused.

1 Like

Only if you’re laundering enough money to pay their masters to have them wear blindfolds. They’ll still go after the small fry, just trying to make a living.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.