This coin-op machine loudly scolds you until you insert money into it

Originally published at: This coin-op machine loudly scolds you until you insert money into it | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I’ve met real people like that; unfortunately they don’t shut up instantly once you give them money.

5 Likes

Whew, it’s an art piece.

I first thought some company was doing this for real, a machine that starts yelling at you if you stare at the selection too long. That doesn’t seem too far out of the realm of possibility in this capitalist dystopia.

4 Likes

tos-imudd17

7 Likes

In the video it just clicks, is that some sort of foreign berating language?

Or hit it really hard with a hammer.

3 Likes

Tim Hunkin is such a mellow technical delight! Here’s his main page methodically covering various mechanical components and his considerable experiences with each:
THE SECRET LIFE OF COMPONENTS

3 Likes

It’s a small world, I’m off to see his rather wonderful ‘Under the Pier’ show in Southwold this weekend:

Well worth a visit, as is both Southwold and the Adnams brewery if you are in the area.

3 Likes

Unfortunately there are pay to stop harassment devices along these lines.

https://archive.nytimes.com/dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/09/24/miss-a-payment-good-luck-moving-that-car/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

… when he returned from seeing a movie with a date, only to find his car would not start and the payment reminder was screaming like a burglar alarm.

“It sounded like I was breaking into my own car,” said Mr. Fabela, 26, who works at a phone company in San Antonio.

2 Likes

I can’t remember the machine, but I could swear I remember a pinball machine back in the day that would nag you if you pushed buttons and hadn’t put a quarter in.

2 Likes

“ This coin-op machine loudly scolds you until you insert money into it”

Not for long.

2 Likes

Came for Harcourt Fenton Mudd vs. Stella, left satisfied.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.