Short 1964 film present the "Slot Machine Age"

Originally published at: Short 1964 film present the "Slot Machine Age" | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Pinball was #1 in those way back days on the Jersey Shore. Most only cost 5 cents, newer machines were 10 cents, didn’t jump to 25 cents till the mid 70’s. A practiced technician could stretch a nickel for hours with wins and free balls.

3 Likes

So automats, pinball machines, pay phones, jukeboxes, and vending machines are all “slot machines” because you pay by putting the coins in a slot?

1 Like

I hadn’t realized that “slot machine” meant a coin operated machine; maybe only in the UK?. I thought slot machine referred exclusively to specific types of gambling machines. A quick trip to the wiki shows that Brits called such gambling devices a “fruit machine”.

4 Likes

It stopped! But I wanted to see Sandra Barry and her Boys in the juke box! This was a really excellent video and produces one of the strongest instances of “nostalgia for a time I never knew” that I’ve experienced. (There should be a word for that and no doubt someone will tell me what it is in German.)

2 Likes

The technical term is “PFY”.

9 Likes

That one needs a straw dispenser next to it.

1 Like

i remember an auto-mat in Dallas when I was a kid. My dad said “its good if you are in a hurry, but its not really good”

I like the idea. and would love to see it revitalized.
(with whiskey too)

1 Like

I’m sure ‘Gaberdine Angus’ here appreciates the privacy that slot machines afford compared to those questions from the chemist

1 Like

Two shillings?!

1 Like

“The machine will never replace the pretty waitress”

Groan. But with the way things are heading how long before there is a tip screen on vending machines?

Or a “one arm bandit”.

1 Like

And just in time for the season, we have this re-created 1940s scare vending machine.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.