Quick Fix: vending machine "sells likes and follows"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/06/quick-fix-vending-machine-s.html

2 Likes

Sounds like black mirror predicted this one…

10 Likes

The coin acceptor can be setup so it accepts any currency in the world

Is it weird that I find this to be the most interesting bit?

The coin acceptors I’m familiar with from arcade hardware are entirely mechanical, and tuned to specific sizes/weights/responses to magnetism. The idea of a universal acceptor sounds so far beyond that that I’m hungry for more details.

9 Likes

It’s very easy to make such a device. You simply accept all coins unconditionally. Bingo, a coin acceptor than accepts any currency in the world.

7 Likes

As I was walking into my building I caught a snippet of what sounded like a serious business call behind me.

“Their insta has 90,000 followers and their posts consistently get 60 likes in the first 15 minutes, how does that not sound legit to you?”

I knew what all the words meant, and even accept that this was a substantive conversation, but dang did it give me some sci-fi vertigo about reality.

16 Likes

I suppose the trick is not making a coin acceptor, but a non-coin-rejector.

5 Likes

Art imitates life

5 Likes

This thing would be funny if it weren’t so goddamn fucking accurate and depressing.

6 Likes

black-mirror-nosedive-likes|nullxnull

11 Likes

Is it real? (Asking for a friend.)

3 Likes

Welcome to the world of tomorrow!

(small story: My dad has an old Pepsi dispenser that could only take nickles. I tried to have it adapted but it was not possible, so he bought a roll of nickles and filled it with beer for when guests came over…)

8 Likes

I tried it with a bucket and it worked just as you said.

8 Likes

To me the ‘can be setup’ is a glib way of saying that it can take the standard arcade coin ‘cart’, which is set up for the locality (ie USD, EUR, etc). And looking at the Likes Device it looks like this kind.

(Also instead of amazon referral points please pay me in likes ------------------↓ :blue_heart::heart::heart: ty!)

10 Likes

They also do voting machines.

/s

11 Likes

Reality ain’t what it used to be.

4 Likes

Will there be a “Thoughts & Prayers” dispenser in time for the next mass shooting?

7 Likes

And that would be so easy for even a teenager to script up these days. I think I’m in the wrong industry. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Patent that!

Instead of LOL, is there such a thing as ‘OOL’ (‘ooooofff’ out loud)? That some good dark humor there. Have a great weekend.

3 Likes

I thought the Adobe commercial was funnier. And certainly wayyyy earlier.

3 Likes