Monster Cable founder sad about getting $0 from Apple's $3 billion purchase of Beats By Dr. Dre

Yeah, I’m simply not that invested in looking cool. I’ve ridden a Segway, and they’re loads of fun and well-suited to many pedestrian-esque situations. I might look like a dork riding one, but I’m perfectly aware that I look just as dorky on a bicycle, or while driving around in a luxury sports car. Getting from Point A to Point B is a self-contained problem, the solution for which has never once gotten me laid as far as I can tell. I’ll use other methods than transportation options when I want to try to look cool.

Exactly! Segway transit is far too quotidian for getting laid. That’s what the Segway polo is for!

1 Like

well, it’s a little like google glass which conveyed a lot of other attributes much more effectively than utility. A segway is also a very expensive tool in the sense that a bejeweled hammer would be usable but highly impractical. I mean, it’s not like he found it in his shed and had reason to weigh throwing it out.

for me, it’s more that they look expensive

Eh. I always felt they didn’t look particularly expensive, but were actually more expensive than they looked. I’d buy one in a heartbeat if I could get it for $500 or so.

Yeah, I’d totally buy one for $500 and this totally made me curious how much they cost. It looks like used ones really aren’t that bad, though still probably out of my budget… for now!

1 Like

Oh boo hoo hoo; he’s sad because he’s finally getting paid exactly what his totally overpriced shit is actually worth. I’m wiping my tears away! (sarcasm…)

And you can’t carry your speakers around in the street to make it clear how fashionable your musical hardware taste is. Remember the goal of consumerism is to impress vacuous strangers.

1 Like

Read this morning that the Beats headphones are made with some older metal components so they’ll weigh more and thus ‘feel’ more substantial than they actually are. The article also mentioned that the actual cost of components is somewhere around $16-$17.

1 Like

But you can get gold-plated violin strings to make the pity-party sound better. Or at least more expensive. Which is the same thing, right?

People don’t buy Beats (or Monster) headphones because they sound good, they buy them because they’re fashionable and they don’t know any better (they presume expensive = good). People who want premium speakers for their TV actually know what makes a good speaker, and know that Monster’s stuff is garbage.

1 Like

This is Monster Cable we’re talking about.

And here I was, looking for some good headphones. Any recommendations for over-the-ear 'phones from the audiophiles out there? And please feel free to skip the outrageously overpriced hipster/commercially-attuned cans.

All the sound people I know use the Sony Pro ones, but they are large.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/49510-REG/Sony_MDR_7506_MDR_7506_Headphone.html

2 Likes

The Head-fi buying guide is pretty solid (and their first recommendation is the Sony MDR-V6, the non-pro version of the MDR-7506)

3 Likes

@SteampunkBanana, done, and @WearySky done. I believe we have a winna!

2 Likes

It looks like they put the word “Digital” on it, but otherwise, yeah.

faceplant

rant

For the love of FSM I haaaate musicians that chase the gold fairy because they think it sounds better. “But it is a denser metal so the vibrations and tone are darker with a more muted high end overtone series!!!”

Screw you, ya hack. If you cared about dense metal for your instrument you’d be sourcing artisnal uranium, not gold you poser.

rant off

I really have no opinion on the subject.

3 Likes

Entry level sennheisers are great. They don’t look cool, but they sound good. See if you can test out a few at guitar center. Don’t spend more than fifty, sixty bucks.

1 Like

What if I told you you could get a gold-plated rackett that made twice as much racket?