Monster Cable founder sad about getting $0 from Apple's $3 billion purchase of Beats By Dr. Dre

I had such an entry-level Sennheiser set some time ago and I liked them, but the build quality left a lot to be desiredā€“IIRC, the earpieces were attached to the headpiece via a pretty simple plastic ball and socket that I broke almost immediately.

I always kept my stable of cheap sennheisers well protected, cause you are right, they arenā€™t robust.

The Sony pros mentioned above are excellent. Expensive sennheisers are fantastic. Bose suck, except they have the best noise canceling so I have some for plane trips.

Iā€™m no audiophile, but I do like my Audio-Technica ATH-M50 cans. Heard good things about them everywhere, especially at their $140 price point. Lifehacker readers love 'em, though now that theyā€™ve been out for a few years (and their price has gone up somewhat), you could find better ones with some effort.

Personally, they suit me just fine.

1 Like

why would they buy premium headphones

Fashion.

And it so happens that fashionable speakers-- ie. thin ones that you can mount on the wall, make terrible sound.

Thereā€™s a reason ā€œfashionā€ is spelled differently from ā€œfunctionā€.

I find it hilarious that people who didnā€™t know how to make headphones decided to go into the headphone business. And that they decided to team up with Monster, of all people. So I assumed that Beats are dogs since I have only ever heard awful things about them. Hearing about the $3 billion I was skeptical, and surprised to read that they have sold quite a lot of headphones. I almost wonder about who bought them all and whyā€¦ but not really. If people wanted crap headphones which looked cute, there was already Skullcandy. I canā€™t imagine it is an audio niche which needs lots of companies to fill.

I strongly suspect that Beatsā€™ online service was not anything so special that even $1 billion of development (or a trip to GitHub) couldnā€™t outdo it.

But SkullCandy is cheap. You canā€™t impress people by telling them you spent $30 on a pair of headphones, you gotta go whole hog and spend $200 on those fashionable, horrible sounding cans.

the suit represents a cry of emotional pain by a star-struck nerd-engineer who thought heā€™d made real friends in the shark tank that is the music business.

AH HA HAHAH AH HA HA HA given his own corporate practices and what heā€™s best known for selling, thatā€™s cute.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.