Montana bill would ban teaching of scientific theories in schools

I don’t believe in Montana. I’ve seen no evidence for it. Sure, people claim to have been there, but I think they were just wandering around lost in South Dakota for a lot longer than they expected. (SD does go on entirely farther than necessary, so it’s easy to see how people might believe they’ve arrived in another state just to get the hell out of South Dakota!

This also explains North Dakota, which is a wasteland that Canada and the United States keep passing back and forth to one another with each insisting it belongs to the other.

17 Likes

Now you’re just trollin​g them.

15 Likes

Dude GIF

6 Likes

I was definitely not trying to imply that. I said, “trying to ban certain things without mentioning them” in that same sentence.

I assume he wants to target teaching of the theory of evolution, but it could also be other things like climate change. Or other things, I have no idea. But the theory of evolution is as established as any other fact in biology so his bill doesn’t even achieve that. If he wrote a bill to ban teaching of scientific “theories” that would ban … well everything they teach in science. I guess Newton’s laws aren’t referred to as theories, but weirdly enough, they are not facts because they don’t explain certain observations, like sun continuing to shine and stuff like that.

2 Likes

Well again, to be clear, bills like this do exactly what they want them to. Score cheap points with their base, and give them a foundation for arguments to ban things later. It doesn’t matter if you think the language isn’t precise enough to do that, they will make it do that. When you own the Supreme Court, all you need is some fuzzy vaguery in law for plausible deniability.

Again, this is all a calculated playbook. We’ve seen it coming out of the conservative think tanks since the early ‘90s when they decided to go after evolution in schools. It may look misguided or foolish, but it is not. They know what they are doing and have successfully set American schools behind the rest of the world by decades already.

18 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Especially when you put it against the backdrop of other attacks on key things the far right want (especially on the LGBQT+ community and on women’s bodily autonomy).

11 Likes

Just a conspiracy of cartographers, then?

6 Likes

Is that the correct group noun?

You know, a parliament of owls, an unkindness of ravens, a school of fish, a conspiracy of cartographers…

12 Likes

Making maps of non-existent areas is easy. I do it all the time as a GM. Mine are both more interesting and believable!

10 Likes
11 Likes

You sure it’s not a clusterfuck of Republicans?

4 Likes

Try a Confederacy of Republicans

20 Likes

Please do! In court! As soon as possible! All of them!

15 Likes

Dunces and Republicans are interchangeable, so I think you nailed it!

11 Likes

Understand Captain America GIF

8 Likes

OT, but apropos. JK O’T, if’n y’all haven’t read his other book, The Neon Bible, you should.Its so very, very different to Dunces.

He wrote it when he was sixteen. This tear-jerking, powerful little novel was written by a sixteen year old. It’s sad he got no time to make more great things.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.