More Americans than ever are giving up their US citizenship

I can already see it: “Bad Trump looses, good Biden wins”
4 or 8 years later: someone even worse than Trump wins, you know “the change is needed”.
Meanwhile, China’s grip on the whole Asia tightens, big portion of Africa and possibly some parts of Europe too. What’s not really widely reported is the China’s influence in Europe, mainly through bank loans for massive projects with condition that their companies get a lion’s share of these contracts.
Many don’t see it, but this is the start of decline of the US.
Such a great country, destroyed in 40 years.

1 Like

If you want Trump - we’re happy to give him to you. Just ask.

13 Likes

This is a stupidly huge country. If it comes down to it, I believe dropping off the grid while staying inside the nominal borders, is going to be more practical than leaving.

1 Like

Can I come?

24 Likes

I don’t see that being especially easy either.

8 Likes

Surely living under a terf influenced government must qualify one for refugee status.

19 Likes

No. I was lucky enough to move to Canada in 2002. I wouldn’t recommend going stateless as you lose protections and travel is much harder. I’d also only recommend renouncing if your second citizenship is with a country in good international standing (for example, Germany: Yes. Iran: No).

When I lived in Japan many years ago (not sure if that’s where you are now), I knew some people living there (born there, actually) who were technically stateless. Travel outside of Japan and doing certain things like banking and signing documents were more complicated, but they did survive.

14 Likes

Unless you’re attempting sarcasm, I’m sorry the American educational system failed you.

34 Likes

It’s worse than that.

zhasu

zhasu

Ottawa, ON

9 Likes

I’ve been wanting to do this! How did you do it?

7 Likes

That’s great, and also a way to spite Trump.

8 Likes

Reagan is why my parents moved to Canada. I renounced my citizenship in 2014 due to not wanting to have to file taxes forever in a country where I have no intention of ever living again, 2016 on has just reinforced that that was the right decision.

6 Likes

I don’t know any US citizens renouncing citizenship, but all my Canadian friends who moved to the US are all moving back this year (from the Bay Area, Houston and North Carolina, respectively). Two of them were in the final stages of the green card process, but are abandoning it. Obviously covid played a role, but it was the last straw, not the only straw.

Of course, Trump and his supporters would see this as a feature, not a bug.

13 Likes

You have to start by getting all your docs in order. In my case - my BC, my mom’s BC, my grandfathers bc, death certificates - marriage certificates. Some of these were very difficult get as NY makes it so very difficult. Certified copies of all. Also - my mom wasn’t named at birth - so her first name was listed as “baby” X. I had to track down her baptismal certificate as that would be acceptable. There is no central repository in NYC & Queens has 80 parishes.

20 Likes

Unless you are Black, or LGBTQ+, or not Xtian.

I am seriously considering leaving the UK because of the political climate here. The USA didn’t even make the initial list of candidates, never mind the shortlist.

27 Likes

There’s currently a 4 month wait for passports so I’m kinda stuck anyway but something to look forward to, eh?

19 Likes

May as well get that in order now.

13 Likes

Would if I could.

1 Like

Pictures, countersignature and GIC documentation in place, just need £95 to pay for it.
And for things not to go tragically to shit before it arrives, obviously :grin:

11 Likes

Maybe that’s the trouble. If you’re among certain groups (e.g., the rich, the police, right-wing politicians, religious fanatics), you have the liberty to commit all sorts of immoral and illegal acts. If we could crack down on that kind of thing, the rest of us in the U.S. would indeed “find MORE liberty in the USA.”

12 Likes