"More frightened than bigoted": Trumpism dominated by trade, not race

That is weird, because I didn’t really say anything so different.

I guess I’d noticed where Wanderfound and Humbabella pointed out that the real problem with comparing Obama to Hitler wasn’t invoking the latter’s name, but that it involved a reality-defying equating of medical care and concentration camps. And their link to where Godwin himself said that Hitler comparisons make sense if they make sense. And so figured that, in a case where everyone already keeps alluding to Hitler, at least the audience here might not be so inflexible on Godwin’s law as to allow a mention of his name where it actually did seem like a pertinent example.

My mistake, I suppose. I’ll bring it up again if Mexicans and Muslims start literally being loaded onto trains, and see if at least then we haven’t gotten a little more indulgent in noticing what that’s like. In the mean time this singular point in history can remain without cautions for us.

Interesting – there are lots of posts about not excusing the harm Trump’s support is liable to cause, but I can’t see a single post that even an uncharitable reading would place in the latter category. Are you just assuming that anyone who doesn’t like what is happening there doesn’t care about the people, or am I missing some?

It’s true racism doesn’t go so far back in itself, but ideas like this managed to fill similar roles to racism. Enough people from Greece looked down on the Africans who grew up with cultures were enervated by heat, and that’s for the ones who weren’t already disdainful of other Greeks from the next town over.

I’m pretty sure those also fit Humbabella’s point if sports teams would too. Which reminds me a lot of the Blues versus Greens, although I’m not sure if it quite fits the example of a demagogue using them, since they obviously became more than that and the famous example is an emperor foundering on them.

1 Like